This is why I only ride in the dirt.

I get beat up riding offroad, the consequences on pavement are usually far more severe. I gave up the pavement many years ago after a couple close calls none of my doing. Just lost my mental comfort level and can't relax and enjoy the ride.

Same here except my close call was broad siding a car that "didn't see me."

I read an NHI (NIH?) report that examined injuries sustained in dirt versus street. Conclusion was injuries to the extremities were very similar but with street there was a much greater occurrence of blunt force trauma to the head and torso, trauma to the skin and a greater frequency of death. I'll try to find the link. For the record I quit riding street but not opposed to picking up another street bike someday. I'd never commute on one though. That's just asking for it IMHO.

Edit: Found the link, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15454807

Edited by _JC_
found the link

Ahhh went for another ride today after work,man that was refreshing..like jumping in a pool..what did you none streeter's do?. Watch your wifes ass grow?.work on some pos in the garage and pretending to like it just to get away from her?..Walk the dog and pic up its runny diarrhea in a bag,while giving dirty looks to other dog walkers?..Oh you're going to the gym?..good, why don't you run yourself up your own arsehole..Perhaps you're doing honey do's despite being exhausted from breaking your balls all day because she has crushed your feeble spirit?..or is it T.V to computer to T.V until your bored eyes shut?.....Now that's a F Harley ad!

Grew up blasting the canyons on my RD but nowdays I get my fix at the track re: supermoto, Flattrack or just riding single track or desert with my buddies

And I still crash all the time but more important I'm having fun 

I am amazed how much safer riding on a track is as compared to riding on the street

14 minutes ago, The Italian Stallion said:

Ahhh went for another ride today after work,man that was refreshing..like jumping in a pool..what did you none streeter's do?. Watch your wifes ass grow?.work on some pos in the garage and pretending to like it just to get away from her?..Walk the dog and pic up its runny diarrhea in a bag,while giving dirty looks to other dog walkers?..Oh you're going to the gym?..good, why don't you run yourself up your own arsehole..Perhaps you're doing honey do's despite being exhausted from breaking your balls all day because she has crushed your feeble spirit?..or is it T.V to computer to T.V until your bored eyes shut?.....Now that's a F Harley ad!

wow, lol. What did she do to you?

Count me as someone that gave up street riding. Don't get me wrong...street bikes were my only transportation from 18-20 years old and I loved riding them. I had bikes after that and finally gave it up in 2006 after 15 years.

I was confident in my riding abilities on the street...no confidence in the drivers around me as cel phones/texting started to take off. Racing MX or trail riding on one way trails...if I crash, 90% of the time it will be my fault. I can live with that. It's the opposite on street...90% of the time it would be no fault of my own that I got hit by 2 tons of moving metal...and it's going to be serious. I don't like having that little of a say on how I injure myself...lol.

8 hours ago, _JC_ said:

wow, lol. What did she do to you?

Not me,never me:prof: ..buts its a shame how many former streeters fall like this and they'll give you every other excuse under the sun to cover it up..I don't know how you could stop after riding for years?.I can't rap my head around it at all so naturally I come to that conclusion that at least %90 are flat out poosey whipped,%5 are so mortgaged up with debt that they don't have the $ or time anymore and the other %5 is the old guys hanging it up because they can't swing a leg over their bike anymore.

A street bike can turn something as mundane as going to the store for milk into a fun event..Think of those nice scenic rides and places you go just because and burn miles away,Are you going to hop in your car on Sat morn all excited to do the same thing?..No,so now you're giving up seeing and enjoying those places too, and your going to tell me that loading up all your shit and all the preparation it takes like you're going to work,just to ride in a dusty field is enough after that taste of freedom? BS

So many times I took my bike for a quick 150 miles to nowhere, it just feels good. My next bike will be a much bigger bike so I can ride long distance again. I used to go every Monday morning on my ZZR 1200 for a 650 miles trip. Leaving in the am early coming back in the evening. From Vegas to barbell, Congress Sedona, Prescott, Jerome, up to Falstaff and back to Vegas. It was Fantastic and I miss it.

All the trails here in Michigan are two way traffic. Iv'e hit several quads and other bikes head-on, in the middle of the woods.
Sadly one incident was with the only other guy on the 30 mile trail.

I recently got a taste of the Michigan trail systems when I went out there to visit the Silver Lake sand dunes. Let me just say you are one lucky S.O.B. to have access to those trails. Hands down the best trail riding I have ever experienced. I wish we spent less time at the dunes and more time in the trails. I was thinking the same thing about the head on collisions as I was tearing through those trails as fast as I possibly could. Luckily it was kind of a crappy day and during the week and we saw nobody the whole time.
4 hours ago, ScootMcGoot said:

I recently got a taste of the Michigan trail systems when I went out there to visit the Silver Lake sand dunes. Let me just say you are one lucky S.O.B. to have access to those trails. Hands down the best trail riding I have ever experienced. I wish we spent less time at the dunes and more time in the trails. I was thinking the same thing about the head on collisions as I was tearing through those trails as fast as I possibly could. Luckily it was kind of a crappy day and during the week and we saw nobody the whole time.

We have well over 3,000 miles of offroad trails here and the state has committed to making that 4,000 miles.  I've lived here all my life and have barely scratched them.  We have an organization here called the Conservation Club Club of Michigan which maintain many of those trails and puts on a lot of events.  I'm embarrassed I haven't done some of them like the 6 days of Michigan.

Doc

Street riding is only as dangerous as the rider makes it. I can't count the number of idiots that cruise along in blind spots, treat the road like a race track or clog highways with idiotic large groups rolling under the speed limit. 

Proper gear, rider training and access to decent facilities to work on skills like proper cornering, braking and other techniques would go a long way to improving safety. 

I ride in heavy traffic quite regularly and haven't had any near death experiences. I just assume that I am invisible and don't put myself in bad situations without an escape route. 

Fact of the matter is it is far too easy to get a motorcycle license in both Canada and the US. Europe has far stricter testing requirements and far less wrecks for both two and four wheeled vehicles. 

I'm a dual sporter and ride around a lot of idiots here in Florida. But, I really don't feel unsafe. I just ride like NOBODY sees me and don't ride like a douche in traffic. I also ride with a buddy a lot and we have Sena Bluetooth communicators. So, we warn each other of hazards along the way. We're not in control of most things in life anyway. Disease takes out people daily. So, I tend to not worry too much about most of the things I do that others see as hazardous. The risk of not doing what I love is greater than the risk of doing it in my mind. Even  on the trails I have to be careful. They are all one way and we have a lot of qwads here. So, I let my buddy lead. :smirk:;) @sclaus

If the trails are all one way what difference does it make who leads? My issue with riding street is that a single crash/collision on the street is usually so damaging that the rider is scarred, maimed or crippled for life if not killed. Not worth the risk in my area, no decent riding for several hours in my area. If I lived in a different area I would probably risk it.

It takes a while to get the maturity to slow the hell down..its only the last 10 yrs that Ive slowed it down a lot..I wasnt that crazy or careless..just a bit of regular hooliganing here and there..call it getting old I don't care..Im just not in any rush at all..I do the speed limit or 10km over in the country..the odd time I'll give it crank here and there and stretch its legs..I watch every intersection,crossroad and read what drivers are going to do from a ways back,,if you have an impatient kid in a honda civic,the old lady creeping with her brakes,is she even looking at me coming?..speeding along your're not able to read that situation. the folks in cars cant judge your speed that well cause of your size..and you can't just think "I have the right of way" zoom! .You have to read everything kinda like you're doing a technical trail ride,but when you're riding slower its easier to relax while doing it and it becomes part of the game..and you have to read the road itself like you're reading a trail,you cant assume that because its paved its going to be like the autobahn,,you hit a dip at high speed it can send you right into a telephone pole in short order..When you hit total maturity on a street bike its pretty safe..the thing is making\getting there     

Edited by The Italian Stallion
7 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

If the trails are all one way what difference does it make who leads? My issue with riding street is that a single crash/collision on the street is usually so damaging that the rider is scarred, maimed or crippled for life if not killed. Not worth the risk in my area, no decent riding for several hours in my area. If I lived in a different area I would probably risk it.

It means I got it totally the opposite of what meant. So, NONE are one way.

All my dirt bikes have license plates. Street, dirt, doesn't matter, i just ride.

I used to roadrace for several years.  Won some, lost some, won a few championships.  I've been riding dirt since I was 8 and street since I was 15.  I will never go without a streetbike, pretty much for the same reason Italian Stallion stated.  I can just jump on it and ride for even a short time, then just park it and have dinner or go to bed.  No clean-up, no shower needed.

It's dangerous without a doubt.  You have to have a certain mental attitude to be a street rider.  It's not for the faint of heart.  I have crashed on the street.  I have watched people, friends, die while riding.  Still, I love riding my streetbike.

You can say that I'm stupid, some say that, the ones that can't fathom the risk and gave it up.  Those are the ones without the necessary mental attitude.  There is nothing wrong with those people, just like there is nothing wrong with me, or Stallion, or anyone else that loves that facet of the sport.  We're just different.

Can something tragic happen to me every time I go out?  ABSOLUTELY!!!  Which is why I have to be prepared for the bad drivers, the idiots, the short attention spans, the blind....  One of you mentioned that you would never commute on a motorcycle.  I agree and choose not to either.  It's no more dangerous traffic-wise than a nice Sunday ride, except that while commuting, you have a tendency to daydream, to become complacent, to lose focus.  That is what makes it more dangerous.

I love dirt and street, it's not that I couldn't live without either one, it's that I don't want to.

Dave

This happened near me recently. Supposedly the rider made a poor decision passing and hit a semi truck head-on at speed.

14915783_G.jpg

There have been serious injuries and fatalities of dirt bikers around here, too.

25 minutes ago, 2strokeYardSale said:

This happened near me recently. Supposedly the rider made a poor decision passing and hit a semi truck head-on at speed.

14915783_G.jpg

There have been serious injuries and fatalities of dirt bikers around here, too.

I don't think passing and hitting a semi truck head on is a risk that is only attributable to riding a motorcycle.  That result would have been the same even if he had been in a 3500 pickup truck or anything short of a full sized battle tank.  Still a terrible accident though.

The risk on the bike are the accidents you'd survive in a car but not survive on a bike.  My biggest fear is being rear ended while sitting at a red light.  Those are pretty common, hard to prevent and much more severe on a bike than in a car.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
1 hour ago, Doc_d said:

I don't think passing and hitting a semi truck head on is a risk that is only attributable to riding a motorcycle.  That result would have been the same even if he had been in a 3500 pickup truck or anything short of a full sized battle tank.  Still a terrible accident though.

The risk on the bike are the accidents you'd survive in a car but not survive on a bike.  My biggest fear is being rear ended while sitting at a red light.  Those are pretty common, hard to prevent and much more severe on a bike than in a car.

Doc

Now that I have moved to the great state of Kommiefornia, I can, and do, Lanesplit.  It does solve the issue with someone possibly rear ending you for the most part.

Dave