So. Cal. Suspension Info

My daughter is looking to get a Beta 125 RS.  It's an inexpensive 125 dual sport bike.  Although it is for smaller riders, it's still a bit tall for her.  Anyone know of a shop locally that can shorten the suspension?  She is only about 5-2, and 105#, and has outgrown her TTR 125LE.

2 hours ago, Gflo said:

My daughter is looking to get a Beta 125 RS.  It's an inexpensive 125 dual sport bike.  Although it is for smaller riders, it's still a bit tall for her.  Anyone know of a shop locally that can shorten the suspension?  She is only about 5-2, and 105#, and has outgrown her TTR 125LE.

Most any suspension shop can lower them.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=esp+suspension+la+crescenta&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=lie

^ Brian at N2Dirt has done two of my bikes, one after three other trys by others. He saved the day with my Sachs CC forks, and made my WR more controlled than any other bike I have ridden so far...

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.  I don't know how difficult is is to just lower a bike a couple of inches.  Will be making some calls.

10 hours ago, Gflo said:

Thanks for the input.  I don't know how difficult is is to just lower a bike a couple of inches.  Will be making some calls.

Lowering the suspension should be your last resort to reaching the ground. 

Lower the seat first. 

When you lower the suspension, the steering geometry is affected....

Lowering the seat was first on my list.  After that, I will see how much more it needs to go down.  She is only 5-2, and that may be a stretch.  

Beta makes a lowering kit.

http://www.americanbeta.com/content/2”-lowering-kit

The other option would be to put a lowering link on the rear suspension. This will not only lower the rear end but stiffen it up also because of the changed leverage ratio. If you want to lower the bike without changing the suspension performance the kit might be the best option. What kind of budget do you have?

Looks like the factory Beta lowering kit are for the Sachs suspension.  The 125 RR-S has bargain basement non adjustable suspension.  I don't even know what brand it is.  I will look into the second link to see if it would work with the 125 suspension.

It may not be an issue but lower links may change the geometry and the valving may no longer be as good as it was.  On some rear shocks if they get lowered it may make the dampening in the shock stiffer.  Something about the spacer to close to some fluid passages.  Moving the clamps down on the forks gets you some in the front.  Taking suspension apart and lowering it is probably a big deal and likely will cost the same as a revalve. 

It may not be an issue but lower links may change the geometry and the valving may no longer be as good as it was.  On some rear shocks if they get lowered it may make the dampening in the shock stiffer.  Something about the spacer to close to some fluid passages.  Moving the clamps down on the forks gets you some in the front.  Taking suspension apart and lowering it is probably a big deal and likely will cost the same as a revalve. 

The lowering link changes the geometry and leverage on the shock. I experienced this first hand when I added a JGR link to my RMZ450. The back end would track AWESOME but I had to slow down the rebound and soften the compression settings to fine tune it. When I tested the most extreme lowered setting I would almost get kicked off the bike when seat bouncing no matter how slow the rebound was. I ended up settling on setting 4 of 6 which is just a little lower than Ride Engineering's link but for all practical purposes the same.

1 minute ago, THE KRAN said:

:smashpc:

The ESP recommend? Really? I've never spent a dime there but I've been by a few times and he's always given me good advice. Seems to have a good reputation... no?

5 minutes ago, kmag said:

The ESP recommend? Really? I've never spent a dime there but I've been by a few times and he's always given me good advice. Seems to have a good reputation... no?

I and at at least three others have been hood-winked by his company, claiming a suspension re-valve that turned out to be just an oil change....

Just a heads up.

Just now, THE KRAN said:

I and at at least three others have been hood-winked by his company, claiming a suspension re-valve that turned out to be just an oil change....

Just a heads up.

I've heard rumors to that effect. Wasn't sure if it was true. I do hear good things as well and there are always 20 bikes lined up outside. All that said, I just looked at N2dirt's website and it looks like a great option for a little tuning on my shitty old DRZ. Going to give them a call.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kmag said:

I've heard rumors to that effect. Wasn't sure if it was true. I do hear good things as well and there are always 20 bikes lined up outside. All that said, I just looked at N2dirt's website and it looks like a great option for a little tuning on my shitty old DRZ. Going to give them a call.

He may turn you down. He's a small shop that holds his reputation very tightly.

If you are riding the DRZ off-road regularlly, there is a Race Tech kit that helps. Otherwise, I would just do a service.

Edited by THE KRAN

He invited me to fill out a form and send it in to him. Said he'd call me with some options. We'll see...