no spark with kickstand down, in Neutral

I lose spark when the kickstand is down.  In Neutral, with clutch lever pulled in.

The green N light is on, so the trans switch is good (?)

the kickstand switch seems like it's doing its job ( kills spark when down, not up)

Even if the clutch switch is shot, shouldn't the bike idle all day, in N,  on the stand?

What am I missing ???

Yes it should run with the stand down , either in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in. I yanked my working stand switch years ago , I don't remember which way is open and closed , up or down. Unplug the switch and ohm it out to see which way is which. You'll either end up with the two unplugged wires from the bike connected together or separated for the bike to run and obviously the sidestand light won't work.  If I had a wiring diagram I believe I could tell you better.

19 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

Yes it should run with the stand down , either in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Putting the sidestand down kills the engine if it isn't in neutral regardless of the clutch position.  This is the way I turn off my bike when I come to a stop, and the clutch lever is definitely pulled all the way to the bar when I do it.  Works that way on my KTM too.

You're probably right then , I yanked 16 lbs. of crap off of mine the day I brought it home new , including the SS switch , as part of its diet.   Why do you shut it off in gear ?

44 minutes ago, JoeRC51 said:

You're probably right then , I yanked 16 lbs. of crap off of mine the day I brought it home new , including the SS switch , as part of its diet.   Why do you shut it off in gear ?

I used to always leave my bikes in neutral when parked unless they were pointed down a hill.  Then I managed to push my XR650L forward off of the sidestand one time when filling it at a gas station - standing on the wrong (i.e., right) side.  There was no stopping it going down and I was rather embarrassed about the whole incident.

At that point a rider with many more miles of riding than I have (like 500K) convinced me that it was always a good idea to park the bike in gear every time and that it was also a good idea to make finding neutral a part of the startup procedure.  So I switched to always parking motorcycles in first gear and feel that it is a better way to do it.  I've owned 19 bikes that didn't have sidestand kill switches, but both of my current ones do, so killing it with the sidestand just seems like the most straightforward way of shutting the bike off.

• Like 1

I disconnected mine after I broke it, I often ride thru the woods with no trail, a stick stabbed it just right it even broke thru the metal cover over it.