Just picked up an 08 CRF450 with original tires!

Just came home with this 08 CRF450! Bike had low hours and even still has the original tires! Sat in a storage unit for 6 years until a guy bought it, then sat in his garage for a while because he said it was too powerful. He had to put a new cylinder, piston on it cause it sat for so long the ring seized to the cylinder wall and scratched up the piston and chipped the cylinder wall. Also had to rebuild the carb cause previous owner stored it with gas in the tank with the petcock on lol! Guy also got a little sticker happy lol. Planning on giving it a full detail job in the future. Only things I PLAN on going is fresh set of tires, grips, servicing suspension, and she will be ready to rip! Just changed oil and filter today.

PS if anyone is interested in the works connection radiator braces, the 50T iron man sprocket, hammerhead red case saver, or billet gas cap and clear hose, let me know! I'm looking for a OEM case saver, gas cap and hose and 48 or 47T sprocket.

IMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7528.JPG

IMG_7529.JPG

Edited by macz400
  • Like 2

Welcome to the "like mint" 08 450r club.  I scored a low-hour bike last fall and posted some pics hear on TT.  The cases weren't even hardly worn.  A few months ago I found a 2nd 08 that had raced a few seasons on it and then the 2nd owner just had it sitting in the garage for the past 6 years.  Plan to set up that one a woods bike and try some harescrambles next year.

I just swapped out the low-hour 48T for a 50T sprocket a couple of days ago.  I might be up for trading+$$ and could use the radiator guards as well.  Send me a PM if interested. As for the blingly stuff, I'm too old for that.  I prefer the stock 'sleeper bike' ridden by an old man look.

Right now I'm re-valving the shock per Dogger's guidance.  Good info in the DIY suspension sticky.  Fork I did back in June and it really helped a lot on arm pump.  The big thing was swapping out the mid-valve spring to soften up the forks on smaller stuff.

I actually have a 14T countershaft sprocket in the garage. Brand new in package. Thinking of still running the 50 rear and running a 14 front. I think that would be about the same effect as stepping down to a 47 or 48 rear with a 13 front. If so that'd be perfect. This bike is mainly going to be a stocker with a few basic upgrades. My 125 is the one I have all "tricked out". It's what I have my most fun on lol.

7 hours ago, FooBarr said:

Welcome to the "like mint" 08 450r club.  I scored a low-hour bike last fall and posted some pics hear on TT.  The cases weren't even hardly worn.  A few months ago I found a 2nd 08 that had raced a few seasons on it and then the 2nd owner just had it sitting in the garage for the past 6 years.  Plan to set up that one a woods bike and try some harescrambles next year.

I just swapped out the low-hour 48T for a 50T sprocket a couple of days ago.  I might be up for trading+$$ and could use the radiator guards as well.  Send me a PM if interested. As for the blingly stuff, I'm too old for that.  I prefer the stock 'sleeper bike' ridden by an old man look.

Right now I'm re-valving the shock per Dogger's guidance.  Good info in the DIY suspension sticky.  Fork I did back in June and it really helped a lot on arm pump.  The big thing was swapping out the mid-valve spring to soften up the forks on smaller stuff.

PM sent!

Put on some new ODI lock on grips, fresh oil and filter change, OEM case saver, black mudflap instead of the stock one, 2015 CRF black rearbrake guard pieces. Also got newer hardware through out the bike with anti seize or loctite on almost every bolt. Realized that I am going to stick with a 13T front and run a 48T sprocket. Sold the WC braces also. Need to sell the 50T iron man sorocket and red hammerhead case saver if anyone is interested. Jetting is good on the bike after playing with the fuel screens bit but kinda worried about coolant coming from the overflow tube quite a bit. Now I know this happens when the bike is ran and just sits on the stand, but it seems to happen within a couple minutes. Haven't had a chance to actually ride the bike yet. Hoping it's not a head gasket issue. May just swap radiator caps off another bike to see if that's the issue.

1 hour ago, TX-SANDMAN said:

What part of TX are you in?  We ride with a group of 02-08 Honda 450 riders at 3palms North of Houston.

3 palms is my favorite track but I am about 1.5hrs south of there. Only ride there maybe once every couple months or so. I mainly ride ultimate on my 125 nowadays.

Anyone got a hot jetting setup for this thing? It's got all stock jetting right now with an aftermarket adjustable fuel screw and the backfire screen cage removed from the air filter cage. Runs pretty good now but kinda pops a bit when revved out. I saw a video online where they recomend starting with your fuel screw 2 turns out and hit the decompression lever and the bike should rev higher. If the bike dies, you need to adjust the fuel screw more or go to a leaner/richer pilot . When I do this, the bike pops and dies. Tried adjusting the fuel screw both ways and still cant get it clean. Although, this is all with the bike on the stand in the garage. Only let it warm up for a minute or 2. Maybe i need to ride around on it first before messing with it.

Nice find! ?

I am sure you know the stator cover on the 04-08 are tell-tale. Those magnesium covers look shite in 3 minutes. Yours looks barely touched!

When I did my ground-up 08 build I installed the 02-03 stator aluminum cover on it. I like those magnesium cover when they're new but they just look so awful after such a short period of time.

I like the IronMan sprocket on the rear. I also installed that on my 08. They last forever

Think I've got the jetting issue ALMOST figured out. Took apart the carb and cleaned every passage, jet, and accelerator pump. Turns out the guy has all the jetting completely stock except for the 170 main jet (178 is stock). Put it all back together but still noticed a couple things. 

1. At a mid speed cruise where it's just steady throttle, the bike misses and stutters a bit. Hoping the 178 will clear that up.

2. Bike starts right up and isles perfect. The thing that bothers me is I've read online that if the bike is jetted correctly, you should be able to idle the bike, then open that hot start lever and the bike should rev up. If not, you should adjust your fuel screw. Which I have done a bunch. BUT, when the bike idled with the choke on, then I pull the hot start, the bikes revs up just S it should. Which makes me think of trying a larger slow jet. I have 42 which is stock but going to try a 45. Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, HRC27 said:

What did it do with the choke off when you pulled the hot start lever? Video discusses which way you need to go on the pilot/slow jet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ib1SyAHPRs

Bike wants to die with the hot start pulled in and the choke off. That's the video I got the whole idea from. Went to pick up a richer main and pilot so I can try and ride it tomorrow but local shop only had a 175 main. I just put it in and sounded good. Gonna try it out tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HRC27 said:

Maybe use Partzilla, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC or ebay for your jets.

Yea every new part that I buy almost always comes from RMATV. Gonna order a 178 main and 45 pilot. I'll give a ride report tomorrow on the current setup. If I end up liking the bike and felling with it, going to put a set of 17 CRF brake rotors, footpegs, new brake pads, new tires, Renthal 49T sprocket, and some new Dunlop ms3 tires waiting to go on it! Also got to inspect all the bearings on it and grease or replace em. Going to freshen up the suspension with new bushings/seals/fresh oil. Keeping it all stock for the most part as I'll be riding my modded 125 about 80 percent of the time.

32 minutes ago, macz400 said:

Yea every new part that I buy almost always comes from RMATV. Gonna order a 178 main and 45 pilot. I'll give a ride report tomorrow on the current setup. If I end up liking the bike and felling with it, going to put a set of 17 CRF brake rotors, footpegs, new brake pads, new tires, Renthal 49T sprocket, and some new Dunlop ms3 tires waiting to go on it! Also got to inspect all the bearings on it and grease or replace em. Going to freshen up the suspension with new bushings/seals/fresh oil. Keeping it all stock for the most part as I'll be riding my modded 125 about 80 percent of the time.

You're not gonna' like it bro, go ahead and ship it to Florida. I'll PM you the details....lol :rolleyes:

Nah, you'll love it man.  Just get it sorted and you'll be a happy man. ?:ride: