Jump to content

Beta xTrainer - what's a good throttle tamer?

Recommended Posts

Whats a good throttle tamer to even out that initial surge on the xTrainer? I'm coming from a low power four stroke (CRF230F) so I just want this initially as I learn. I can always remove it later. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a long time 4-stroke rider, when got my 300rr 2 years ago, i struggled with throttle response -- installed G2-throttle with 400 cam, did mellow it.   200 hours and 3500 miles later, have never removed it, no idea if its still needed..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jviz1 said:

As a long time 4-stroke rider, when got my 300rr 2 years ago, i struggled with throttle response -- installed G2-throttle with 400 cam, did mellow it.   200 hours and 3500 miles later, have never removed it, no idea if its still needed..

This and get the jetting right with the Suzuki needle. You will have a smooth power delivery from idle to upper end. I used the NECJ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carb tuning helps a lot with surging off the idle circuit. I suggest you try a Suzuki needle, necj, and run at 2nd clip. Try a 38 pilot if it is still bogging slightly off idle after adjusting air screw. I tried 3rd clip and it was blubbery.

 

I like g2 products, the 100 is stock, the 200 is moderate, and the 400 is extreme. I prefer the 200 on other bikes but haven't added it to the XT yet. For me the g2 was useful on a more aggressive bike after tuning got it as mellow as possible. I DO stall that bike more though now if it gets gnarly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bikesandcars said:

Carb tuning helps a lot with surging off the idle circuit. I suggest you try a Suzuki needle, necj, and run at 2nd clip. Try a 38 pilot if it is still bogging slightly off idle after adjusting air screw. I tried 3rd clip and it was blubbery.

 

I like g2 products, the 100 is stock, the 200 is moderate, and the 400 is extreme. I prefer the 200 on other bikes but haven't added it to the XT yet. For me the g2 was useful on a more aggressive bike after tuning got it as mellow as possible. I DO stall that bike more though now if it gets gnarly.

Yep! One of the easiest, quickest ways to tune throttle response is with jetting. Another way is with gearing. Very easy to pack a CS sprocket and various jets. Tune on the trail or staging area. 

If you have a FI bike it's even simpler. Just pack a laptop and ECU tuner on the trail. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ballisticexchris said:

Yep! One of the easiest, quickest ways to tune throttle response is with jetting. Another way is with gearing. Very easy to pack a CS sprocket and various jets. Tune on the trail or staging area. 

If you have a FI bike it's even simpler. Just pack a laptop and ECU tuner on the trail. 

 

In less time it takes you to find the carb you can swap throttle cams. Also get into the modern days, some FI are tuned by your cell phone. Then again you might still be using the first cell produced from the '90's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, weantright said:

In less time it takes you to find the carb you can swap throttle cams. Also get into the modern days, some FI are tuned by your cell phone. Then again you might still be using the first cell produced from the '90's.

FI cannot be tuned on a Beta with cell phone. I can change jets and needle position on Beta or KTM 2T in about 15 minutes. Throttle cams are nothing more than changing the duration of throttle twist. They do nothing to tune the bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ballisticexchris said:

FI cannot be tuned on a Beta with cell phone. I can change jets and needle position on Beta or KTM 2T in about 15 minutes. Throttle cams are nothing more than changing the duration of throttle twist. They do nothing to tune the bike.

No it doesn't change anything on the motor but the bike yes. Throttle cams adjust how quick the power is delivered and thus tune the twitchy-ness of the motor. No matter how much I mess with the jetting the throttle cam improved the delivery above and beyond what jetting could. I have used them on both 2 and 4t motors with and without FI.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old thread but here's my 2 cents.

I installed a 400X throttle tamer on the Xtrainer 300.  It did exactly what I wanted to, totally mellowing out the response at slow trail speeds. What I didn't realize, it would make learning certain obstacle techniques virtually impossible because there was no longer any "snap" at low throttle input. Response was soft-soft-soft. This made small wheelies to loft the front end just about impossible except to grab half a turn of throttle. It was awkward.

I ended up removing it a week or so ago so I could start small wheelie practice and be able to do log punches on small logs (14 inch). Now with proper weighting of the suspension and timing a small quick 1/4 throttle turn, the front end easily lifts and I can hold it or drop the front with the rear brake.

The dirt tamer is great for those of us just learning to ride on the trails, but it will definitely hamper the engines ability to give quick high power shots for those techniques that require them. And with the throttle tamer it IS easier to stall the bike in technical terrain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ToolmanJohn said:

Old thread but here's my 2 cents.

I installed a 400X throttle tamer on the Xtrainer 300.  It did exactly what I wanted to, totally mellowing out the response at slow trail speeds. What I didn't realize, it would make learning certain obstacle techniques virtually impossible because there was no longer any "snap" at low throttle input. Response was soft-soft-soft. This made small wheelies to loft the front end just about impossible except to grab half a turn of throttle. It was awkward.

I ended up removing it a week or so ago so I could start small wheelie practice and be able to do log punches on small logs (14 inch). Now with proper weighting of the suspension and timing a small quick 1/4 throttle turn, the front end easily lifts and I can hold it or drop the front with the rear brake.

The dirt tamer is great for those of us just learning to ride on the trails, but it will definitely hamper the engines ability to give quick high power shots for those techniques that require them. And with the throttle tamer it IS easier to stall the bike in technical terrain.

Agree on everything you posted IF you don't have clutch skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×