cyclopz

86xr600r blown engine????

9 posts in this topic

so today I was going to go out for a ride, almost got to my buddies house, when the bike died, thought it was maybe out of gas, so i pulled in the clutch and went on reserve. I was still rolling so i popped it up into 3rd to try to roll start it, but no luck. stopped and pulled of to the side to try and kick it. the engine was siezed. this had happened before once and it ran fine after i let it cool down. so i let it sit and got a cup of coffee. i came back out to start her up, but i couldnt find tdc. the kick start would turn and turn but no hard point. it was harder to kick through the cycles and it has a weird squeek sound from the cylinder. any ideas on what happened or what the problem is??? it was running just fine 2 weeks ago i took it out on a 6 hr ride no overheating nothing. i has just been out of service because i cracked the tank in a biff about 3 rides ago. 

it was full of oil. the oil was black as shit though. and i just did a change on it about 2 months ago

oil turns black quick in these bikes and faster if non syn oil is used,,,doesn`t always mean much...

B

Better start with a compression check, sounds like a moot point but best be sure, then verify the cam chain isn't broken........etc etc. Of course no compression means a tear down regardless.

Keep us in the loop so we can support...

Open it and look or were all just guessing.

That screech would be the rings.

Either way, with that year, Id expect to get a new piston and new rings. If cylinder is scratched, you might be able to get by with a hone, but you'll probably have to bore and go up in piston size.

Your head is toast. Cam sized in the journals. Good luck on finding a useable replacement.
The bike is a 1986, move up to something in the 2000s.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

• Similar Content

• By smugs
      I have a 2007 CRF250R, just got the head rebuilt, new piston and cylinder, new timing chain, shims are in spec, air fuel mixture is correct, carb has a boyeson quickshot3, just found out yesterday when I tore it apart, the leak jet was turned all the way in, could that be the problem? timing is perfect, new ignition coil. Starts first kick when cold but once it gets to operating temp and I’ve been riding for a few minutes it is nearly impossible to start back unless I bump start it...any tips or ideas on what could be wrong with it? 
      Thanks!
    • By crashnburnit
      Ok so I recently bought a 08 crf250x, and I was shocked to realize it didn't come with a key!  It has a battery, headlight, taillight, and an electric start, but no key.  So I bought a cheap one off ebay, but I cant figure out the wiring.  There are three wires: a red one, a black one, and a green one.  I watched a video, and it said that you should cut the hotwire and connect the red one to one side of the severed hot wire and the black to the other side.  And that the green was a ground wire.  The video said that the hotwire was pure red, but the video was for a yzf, not a crf.  The closest thing to a red wire I can find is a red wire with a white stripe, it was located down by the radiators.  But on the video it was behind the headlight.  So what I need to know is:  where is the hotwire, and where is the black ground wire that I connect the green one too?    A response would be very helpful, thanks
    • By Christian Klopfer
      So I recently bought an 85 XR600R. My 1st bike when I was 13 was a 79 XR 250 and loved it. Now I bought the best bike from a young kid who said it was running in his ad. Of course it wasn't when I went to look at it. But, the price was right after I talked him down a little. My son and I have replaced the CDI, plug, and coil pack ensuring it had a good spark. We cleaned the carb, adjusted floats (it's the duel carb set up) and discovered that the mixture screw was missing, which we replaced. My son managed to get it started a few times by relentlessly kicking it over because he's 15. Haha. It idled unpredictably and cut out mostly within a minute not to be started again until it cooled. It ran long enough once for me to ride it up and down the road a few times backfiring with almost every gear shift for about ten minutes tops. It seemed underpowered but was still able to lift the front wheel off the ground slightly during takeoff. Now I didn't tell you that I had bought a compression gage and checked it prior to all this. It was roughly 70psi which I was told by a coworker was plenty to get it started and ride on. With all the difficulty starting it I decided to check the Haynes Manuel that I have and check the actual compression spec which I should have done from the beginning. Now that I realize I'm at/under 1/2psi compression I'm doing a little research as to what to do now. I'm not a mechanic, but I've gotten my hands in there doing simple repairs and whatnot. If I have a manual I'm pretty much good to go, but a full motor rebuild is a little daunting. I have a good friend that is an auto mechanic that lives right down the street that just started getting into restoring bikes that is willing to help me out. My biggest concern is the availability of parts for this motor. I've seen some stuff here and there on the web, but I'm looking for any suggestions that can point me in the right direction. I Really LOVE this bike and would love to see it ressurected, but I'm afraid I'm going to get too deep in to my pocket to have it make sense. Any info or suggestions welcome!

• By Thumper696
      Hi, Im new to the forum and looking for some help. Im 50 years old, weight 210 lbs. and looking to get back into riding.
      Looking at either a 250 4s or a 450 4s. Wanted to get feedback as which would be better for me (210 lbs.) 
      Want to use it for trail rides/ endure and track once in a while. Not looking to race it.

• By Luke Cannon
      I am in need of pictures, videos, instructions, or just information on rebuilding the bottom end in my 1997 Honda cr125!!!!!!!