1979 xr500

Have a chance to get a basket case 1979 xr500 cheap. The frame and engine numbers do not match. The motor is actually 12 numbers later then the frame. My questions are how availible are parts. Looks like there are some on ebay. If i need a honda manual? Opinions on what you all think of this bike. Is it streetable? I am sure more to follow.

Sent from my LG-H811 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

The XR has minimal lighting running direct from the engine. No battery and no coil to charge a battery.

As far as I know it gives you just headlight main and dip and a tail light. Not even a stop light.

Definitely not indicators.

So, if your local laws say a brake light is required on the street you might have to rig something up using a stand alone battery.

The standard front wheel is 23", only one tyre fits, made by Cheng Shin.

34 minutes ago, Triumph5ta said:

The standard front wheel is 23", only one tyre fits, made by Cheng Shin.

There are other tyres that fit.

Mate of mine had a 79 xr500 on the road - all lights - except indicators because of the year it was built it wasnt required to have them.

48 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

There are other tyres that fit.

Mate of mine had a 79 xr500 on the road - all lights - except indicators because of the year it was built it wasnt required to have them.

Cool, if you can point me at a supplier of an alternative to the Cheng Shin that would be great, I cant find one anywhere.

So if i decide to go nuts on this thing, is there a way to revamp the electrical to handle modern electrics. For me that would be going with LED lighting, blinkers, brake light.

There is nothing off the shelf as far as I know to convert to 12v. Electrex World do a kit to upgrade the 6v Yam XT500 to 12v but not for the XL

You would need to fit a charging system to charge a battery to run LED lights.

You would somehow have to locate a battery too.

The XL model (like mine) has a small 6v battery to power the stop light, indicators and idiot lights. But the 6v battery is too small to run the Headlight too.

The direct lighting to headlight and rear light is AC (Alternating current) and as far as I know that means you cant use LED bulbs, they really need DC current from a battery.

Others might know different.

You could

• try and fit the stator coils from an XL model which would at least give you the opportunity to charge a 6V battery. This is simplest and what I would do.
  • I think you can fit the electrics from a later 82 on model which is 12v

• Like 1

you cant fit the electrix from a later model ,as the magneto housing is different to the 12Volt XL500

XR500 &XL 500 have single wave generator,,to up the output you need to change to full wave system, which is pretty easy, and ive done plenty.

On the lighting coil,the one wire that is grounded,remove it(un ground it), attach a wire to it and lead both wires to a full wave 12 volt rectifyer/regulator( important if you source one..full wave & two lead input. something like what comes on chineese scooters(Vuka) works fine.

some rectifyer/regs have 5 leads others 4 ,both work, except 5 leads ,u need power from your ignition switch to turn the regulator on..4 lead hasnt got the extra black whire. Then all thats left is green to ground and red to battery from regulator and a inline fuse and change bulbs etc...The XL 500 stator is better ,as it has a seperate charging coil, so you can link the coils together for more out put, ive got pics somewhere of the mod.

Photo0071.jpg

Photo0072.jpg

• Like 1