Sign in to follow this  

Getting Suspension Revalved - Do I Need Springs?

Hey Everyone,

Looking to get my 2014 KTM 450 FE revalved by a local tuner because the stock setup is pretty harsh. If I'm 185lb which is in the window for the factory spring weight spec, do I need aftermarket springs? Will it make a significant difference to get a progressive spring? The tuner recommends it so I will be going with it, but curious to hear some other feedback. 

Never heard of a progressive spring on a modern linkage bike , STD springs should be fine

• Like 1

If the bike has linkage, (which I'm sure your bike does) then a progressive spring is entirely unnecessary. I am not sure if anyone adds these to linkage bikes to be honest. The way a linkage works is as the swing arm moves upward towards the rear seat, the angle at which the shock is facing changes. It changes in a way to give less leverage on the shock making it harder to compress. This change in leverage is very substantial, and more than enough for your shock feel to be progressive enough. PDS (Position- sensitive Dampening System) shocks  often use progressive springs to help alleviate their lack of progressiveness. These shocks work without a linkage and create their progression by means of a second stack of compression valving that kicks in once the shock shaft has compressed roughly 5/8ths of its distance.

Anyways 185 pounds is a little bit on the heavy side for stock springs as they are typically set up for a rider in the range of 155-175 pounds. Have you done any sort of set up to your bikes suspension before you decided to go and have your bikes suspension re valved?