What was done to my yz125?? (Pics included)

Hey guys, i'm trying to figure out what was done to this yz125 I just bought. It was built by a Zambrana Performance out of Miami and does not appear to be stock.

All I know if it's history was it built for a race kart driver in 1999 and has been running on 110 race fuel, and running an oversized carb pj38. I've included some pics of engine to help identify what was done, any feedback is appreciated!

IMG_5753.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5794.JPG

IMG_5797.JPG

IMG_5798.JPG

IMG_5799.JPG

Hey guys, the OP's application is for a racing kart.

With sustained high rpms, it is typical of these guys to run their premix in the 20:1 - 28:1 range and with

unknown engine work, who knows perhaps 110 was required. (squish band height reduced but compression dome CC's not corrected)

Nothing will break or blow up by using too high an octane rating than required but

there is also no gain to be had. If anything it will loose some throttle response.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Motox367 said:

Whoever did it didn't use the correct yamabond ? looks like crap for a shop very messy 

Yep, definitely a sloppy execution. Hopefully will run okay once I receive  cylinder and piston back from repair/replating. Guy I bought it from says it's been clocked at 139mph, the waiting to fire up the karts killing me ?

• Like 1

I don't think you could gear it tall enough to hit 139.  Even if it had the power, and theres no chance of that either.

It may require 110 octane if they built the motor for it.  Running pump gas in a high comp race motor will burn it down in less than a tank of fuel.  Start with a compression test.  If you're above the stock spec the engine will require race gas.

• Like 1

Not sure about that generation engine but my 2010 YZ125 once got 187psi on a new / freshly broken in top end. (2nd piston, I'm on #4 now)

Now with about 80 or so hours on the original plating (starting to show wear), it still gets 180psi on a new piston & ring.

Everything is otherwise all stock except for the 0.20mm reduced squish band & un-corrected dome which increased compression by 5psi.

Never experimented much with fuel, always ran a mix of 94* octane 'preventatively' and never had issues.

(* 91 pump mixed with 110 race fuel) also as a safety margin since I tend to jet a tad on the lean side.

Edited by mlatour

2 hours ago, Rosehill Ryder said:

I would never dare put anything less than 91oct preferably 93oct  in any two-stroke even if it was stock . Detonation kills ! It probably did require the 110 . 

I ride trails, only run 87 and always have for years and years at a 50/1 mix, never any issues! Why does 87 do damage. Right one was last year's brushed up, left is now straight out

IMG_20170718_185110524.jpg

Octane requirement not only depend on engine compression but also on the specific application,

a trail ridden bike won't see has much sustained high engine loads as a MX track ridden one.

Same principal for premix ratio, lower rpms can run less oil,

sustained use at 10 000rpms requires more. 

Maxima has a research document about this, something like '2-stroke oil migration time' 

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Smoking 2's said:

I ride trails, only run 87 and always have for years and years at a 50/1 mix, never any issues! Why does 87 do damage. Right one was last year's brushed up, left is now straight out

IMG_20170718_185110524.jpg

Too low of an octane will cause detonation in higher-RPM applications.

• Like 1

Smoking 2's

Since you trail ride, as mentioned octane requirement is not as crucial for your application.

Your piston's crown (top) doesn't seem to have suffered from any detonation but,

the excessive combustion blow-by past the rings indicates you might have stretched the refurb interval too long.

(or were too easy during break in on the last refurb)

Post some pics of the cylinder head's combustion chamber.

Edited by mlatour