New FC350 Owner

So a while back I posted about my interest in getting a FC 350. I got a lot of good feedback from some owners on here and I decided it was the bike I wanted. I came from a YZ250F, which we still have. I like that riding style, so the revvy nature of the 350 appealed to me, more than the lug of 450s. Also, the light weight was a big role in my decision. So anyways, I will ride it this weekend, get it all broke in etc. Then I will post some feedback of my experience. I figured I would see if you guys have any input or anything to look for, set up etc then that would be cool. There isn't a ton of info out there compared to when I bought my YZ. So any good info is welcome. Thanks.

IMG_20170916_162311_187.jpg

• Like 4

The KTM frame guards are taller and cover more frame. It's a good, direct bolt on upgrade for around $30. The number plate on the right has a small screw above the footpeg. For some reason I have lost two of these along with the spacer that goes with it. Check often or use locktite. Break it in, get your suspension dialed and have fun. These are kinda set it and forget it bikes. I swapped out the position of the "control panel" and the kill switch to get the kill switch next ti the grip. Keep an eye on the spokes next to the rimlock. I didn't really get any significant spoke loosening until about 9 hours. these bikes are awesome. I live in sunny SoCal and haven't charged the battery in two months, ride mostly weekly. 

Edited by SMarquez
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SMarquez said:

The KTM frame guards are taller and cover more frame. It's a good, direct bolt on upgrade for around $30. The number plate on the right has a small screw above the footpeg. For some reason I have lost two of these along with the spacer that goes with it. Check often or use locktite. Break it in, get your suspension dialed and have fun. These are kinda set it and forget it bikes. I swapped out the position of the "control panel" and the kill switch to get the kill switch next ti the grip. Keep an eye on the spokes next to the rimlock. I didn't really get any significant spoke loosening until about 9 hours. these bikes are awesome. I live in sunny SoCal and haven't charged the battery in two months, ride mostly weekly. 

Good info. Thanks. I'll check all of the areas that you mentioned. After I ride it a couple times, I'm going to have MPR Suspension give me some settings and go from there. I was thinking about these frame guards, as they are hanging at the dealer. Any good? Or get the taller OEM ones? I did notice how short mine are, which I don't like.

CECFC3C1308028F4BDEB86225DA66A8F.app1_14

So a quick ride report...

I just went to a small practice track to break the bike in. Some medium sized jumps, some elevation etc. I was honestly not sure what to expect with the 350. I had never ridden one, so I was just going off of what I have read.

Anyways, I really like the bike a lot. I was very surprised how easy it was to ride. It doesn't rev as fast as my 250F, but a little faster than a 450. Also, it doesn't have that 'rip your arms off' feel like a 450 either. It was just super smooth, it just goes. It's kind of hard to explain. I found myself at the end of a straight or going off of some jumps, not realizing how fast it was going. I guess on my 250Fs, I always was trying to keep the revs up and be aggressive and on a 450 you are expecting a big torque hit. This bike doesn't really do either. It is probably easier to ride than either a 250F or a 450. 

Another nice surprise was how good the thing handles. It feels so light in turns and in the air. The cornering is excellent. It's a perfect mix. It corners sharp but still stable. You can lay it into a rut an it just goes. I'm sure the great handling also goes hand-in-hand with the power delivery. It just did nothing weird, so I have zero complaints there.

Suspension is good. The fork feels like an air fork but I do like it. It took me a few laps to get used to it but I adapted quickly. I'll still have to mess with the settings but I got through the day pretty happy with what I had. (I was along the lines of MXA's settings but at 150psi)

Other misc things. Clutch is great. I worried about the catch-point but it was really nice. Brakes are amazing, everyone knows that. The ergos are very easy to adjust to. i ran stock bar position, just dropped my levers down a bit. Shifting was pretty good, maybe a bit vague compared to my YZF. It's a little harder to feel the gear. Also, the pegs could be better. They seem kinda small and old-school compared to the Yami. I took the advice given and grabbed a set of taller frame guards. Also, in the process of getting graphics done. So all in all, I'm really happy. It's a great bike. Can't wait to get more time on it.

20170924_210429 2.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, jmfreeman535 said:

A part of me is extremely happy to hear your initial thoughts on it, while the other part wishes you would have said "I hate this bike, give me my yz250f back!!" 

I'm currently eyeing on of these, but know the "responsible" thing would be for me to keep my yz250f...

Lol. If you look closely, the YZ is still in the garage. It will now end up being my gf's bike but I will still ride it. I still think you can't go wrong with the YZ250F. Such a great bike. I loved mine.  I do think the 350 is easier to go fast on. I'm not sure it is as exciting, if that makes sense. The 350 is so smooth, efficient and just good, that it is almost not as exciting as ripping a 250F. But I got what I wanted. I wanted something with a little more motor than a 250F, without losing the light feel and good handling. The 350 delivers in that aspect. For someone who wants that complete beast right off the bat, I'd say still go with the 450. As the 350 power seems to be really manageable off of idle and then just builds and build as the revs climb. Very impressive, but I can see it not being for everyone, in a way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ah665 said:

I wanted something with a little more motor than a 250F, without losing the light feel and good handling

This pretty much sums up why I'm looking into the 350.  I really do like my yz250f, but I'm starting to think that the extra power of a 350 would make my life a little easier lol.  250f's are a blast to ride, and suite my riding style very well (I love sitting in those higher RPM's), but it can be a bit of a struggle to be consistently fast on them...one little mistake can really bog you down.

It sounds like the 350 has (nearly) the power of a 450, but you can ride it like a 250f...aka the perfect bike for me.  I just wish they were priced closer to a 250F. The $9200+ price tag is the only reason I don't have one sitting my garage, already.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jmfreeman535 said:

This pretty much sums up why I'm looking into the 350.  I really do like my yz250f, but I'm starting to think that the extra power of a 350 would make my life a little easier lol.  250f's are a blast to ride, and suite my riding style very well (I love sitting in those higher RPM's), but it can be a bit of a struggle to be consistently fast on them...one little mistake can really bog you down.

It sounds like the 350 has (nearly) the power of a 450, but you can ride it like a 250f...aka the perfect bike for me.  I just wish they were priced closer to a 250F. The $9200+ price tag is the only reason I don't have one sitting my garage, already.

Hate to say it, bud,  but you sound like the perfect candidate lol. I don't regret it 1 bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the right side panel gets hot? I saw MXA mention it in 1 of the tests. The lower corner of my graphics pulled back, as the glue got too hot. I'll just cut it, but that sucks. 

Anyways, another good day, getting familiar with the bike. Still messing around with the forks. They are good, just seeing what happens with some different setting. Shock is pretty good, just slowed the rebound down 1. Track was weird, since it had rained all night before. There were some really tacky, grippy spots and others that were really slick. Rode most of the day with the TC activated. Seems pretty cool. 

IMG_20171008_190228_943.jpg

• Like 2

If you can swing it, buy a set of pro pegs. I put a set on both my TX300  and my FX450. My feet kept slipping off the stockers. Bigger platform, sharper teeth, lighter than stock and way better control. They're pricey, but they're money well spent compared to graphics and shiny bits, in my opinion. 

Edited by CSAR FE
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, CSAR FE said:

If you can swing it, buy a set of pro pegs. I put a set on both my TX300  and my FX450. My feet kept slipping off the stockers. Bigger platform, sharper teeth, lighter than stock and way better control. They're pricey, but they're money well spent compared to graphics and shiny bits, in my opinion. 

Ya I'm not a big fan of the stock pegs. That was 1 of my complaints about the bike. I'll eventually grab some aftermarket pegs. For what it's worth, I get my graphics for free but I get what you are saying.

Glad you like it! My roommate has the 350 and absolute loves it compared to his yz 250f. I'm not a big rpm dude so I went with another 450. We rip the desert instead of the track, but still can't believe they have a bike that can rip the track and then go hit 100+ on a straight in the desert. Truly an amazing machine, glad you love it. Welcome to the white KTM club. 

Im feeling more comfortable on my 350. It feels like my bike now. Took a little bit to adjust to, after having mostly 250Fs for the past few years. Still not totslly set on suspension settings but I am happy with it. Just going to keep playing with it a bit more. A few people said Husky mufflers are choked up compared to the KTM. You guys feel like it is worth upgrading? I can get the FMF or Yosh RS4 at a discount.

IMG_20171024_083144_666.jpg