New FC350 Owner

The real-life intervals tend to vary a lot based on skill/type of riding, but I'll usually start to notice a slide in performance around the 20-25hr mark. 

I think it's a safe bet to say that a service would solve your issues.  Then, if you are doing the service yourself pay extra attention to the air cartridge seals/quad ring...I converted to KYB early on, so I don't know how well these actually hold up, but it does seem like most people like to replace these with every service.

OK. I was honestly hoping to finish the rest of the season on the suspension and get it serviced over the winter. So hopefully when I go to my guy, we can really dial it in. I've liked it, but recently something just feels off. But I have such a weird set-up, that I thought maybe I should try something else. 

But over the winter, I'll probably just go with a revalve and service and should be good to go. 

Update in case anyone else can benefit from this...So after pm'ing with a couple members on here and then also calling my suspension shop, I am making a couple slight changes. I think that I am running too much air pressure as the main problem. So I have a new setting that I will try this weekend with less air pressure and the clickers adjusted a bit. The shop seems to think that my set-up has slightly gotten stiffer which finally is being counter-productive in the turns. So for now, I am going to try this new set-up and then next month, I am having it serviced. As mentioned, I like a slightly stiffer fork, because I tend to be over the bars a bit. I also prefer my fork to feel like it's a bit higher in the stroke, than probably a normal person. And on harsh landings, I did not like how this bike seems to shimmy a bit. So I think maybe I went too far on set-up to try to compensate for all of that.

We talked of a spring conversion, which I'd rather not do, as overall I really like the AER stuff as-is. So I will get the fork freshened up and probably try the Race Tech Gold valve kit and go from there. I'll update in case anyone else finds this stuff useful. Thanks to all who pm'ed with me on this, your feedback is appreciated.

12 hours ago, smv ryder said:

I know you said no to spring conversion but IMO it’s the direction you need to go.

http://www.ktechsuspension.com/products/orss-0

I am going to try to dial it in as-is and then go from there. I think the AER stuff is good and I like the simplicity and adjustability of it. But being used to the SSS fork, I was usually able to find a middle ground.  I could keep it stiff enough to stay up in the stroke w/o doing anything weird when you land hard, but still settle into turns and be plush where it needs to be. Seems as the the window for that middle ground is a bit more narrow on the AER. So maybe a revalve and new settings can fix that. 

For what it is worth, the changes I made with the clickers did seem to help. I guess a lot of this was my own fault. I was going down on compression but up on psi. So dropping the psi down (142) and going back up a few clicks on compression did seem to help. It was muddy so not the best track to judge but still felt like the front settled nicely. Also not much of the twisting on hard landings. I will still get a service and likely a revalve since it will be apart. 

• 2 weeks later...

Opened the air box a little bit. I really didn't want to get into cutting around the battery box / airbox itself. So I decided to try 2 filtered holes. Not a huge fan of my leg rubbing there, but I suppose it's better than letting dirt and crud get in there. I know this will be pretty minimal compared to what MXA suggests, but I figured I'd try it a little bit at a time rather than go crazy from the start. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate this weekend, so no report on how it worked.

20181019_152853sm.jpg

• Like 2

I just bought a new 2018 FC350. I just put my first hour on it offroad in the mountains right around my house, but it will mainly be used to ride tracks.  I currently have a 2014 yz125, and recently got rid of a 2015 RMZ 450 last week, and a 2014 250 SX last month.

Main Thought: Man this bike feels light and fun! 

Initial ride, this bike feels absolutely amazing. In true KTM form and function, it really does very well offroad for being a MX bike.It feels as good as my 250sx did in the mountains and on single track. Not ideal if I was only riding mountains, but still really good for the trails. It feels as light and "flickable" as my yz125 on medium sized trails. 

The chassis feels perfectly balanced, and I honestly do notice a little difference in feel with that subframe. I like it, it doesn't punish me for mistakes. Initially it feels like it rides on that fine line between stability and maneuverability, which KTMs have been known for since 2014ish. It doesn't quite have the front end traction and feeling of the Suzukis, but the light weight characteristic put together with all the angles make it feel just as intuitive and as easy to turn in and hold that line as a Zook. Stock for stock, this bike feels way more stable though. I did not like how my Suzuki felt in sand, deep whoops, or any bigger bumps and ruts that can be fairly common. The Husky isn't as stable as the Yamahas I have ridden lately, but it's not too far off. It also doesn't have the vague turn in as the Yamis though.. Overall I am very happy with the balance and poise from this frame set up, my only minor complaint is that it feels a little loose and slidey, but I think that has more to do with the tires, riding conditions, and the suspension set up. 

The suspension feels great initially. The fork feels much less divey than my TAC fork on the Suzuki. Honestly, I didn't think that the Suzuki fork was all that bad, until I rode this one lol. I like air forks, so I put up with the Suzuki for a few hours, but after the first ride this WP feels night and day better. Much more supple than the Showa TAC fork. It feels like a Fox 40 DH MTB fork, but scaled up. Small bump sensitivity is up there with Kayaba SSS. Smoothe, supportive, and almost perfect really. I need to test how it feels when casing big tables, and the bottoming resistance, but I suspect it will be better than my yz125 with the stock springs (I leave them stock cuz I let my friends/family ride the 125). I didn't notice the performance of the shock yet too much, other than I want it to settle down a bit in the back a little more, it feels slightly loose. I have a heavier spring for my weight that's 5mm longer (265mm vs 260) than stock tho, so that may have something to do with it, I may put the stock one back on and test that. I never usually change my rear shock springs, I like stock ones and how they ride a little lower in the travel. I went higher spring weight with this Husky, and it feels good, but loose like it's riding higher in the stroke than I am used to. 

Engine is outstanding. I didn't know what to expect, but it feels great. I don't really care about engine performance, and I like all engine sizes and all their different characteristics. This 350 feels significantly torquier than a 250f, but doesn't have that "hit" like a 250 two stroke or 450f does. Its very easy to ride honestly, and I think it will make a great track engine for me. It is very smoothe, like a toned down 450. I haven't revved the shit out of it yet, waiting till after break in. I suspect it will surprise me when I open it up. 

Cockpit feels great stock. Im tall and don't notice anything weird. I don't feel like I'm sitting "in" the bike like a YZ 250, but I also don't feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike like a YZ450f. It's that medium right in between, and I feel like all KTMs feel like this since 2013.. It feels thin and the plastics are easy to grab with your knees. The entire bike just feels spot on.

Now its time to check the valves. 1 hour valve check is a bit annoying, but otherwise the maintenance schedule doesn't look too extensive or out of the ordinary. 

Edited by Freakazoid
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Freakazoid said:

I just bought a new 2018 FC350. I just put my first hour on it offroad in the mountains right around my house, but it will mainly be used to ride tracks.  I currently have a 2014 yz125, and recently got rid of a 2015 RMZ 450 last week, and a 2014 250 SX last month.

Main Thought: Man this bike feels light and fun! 

Initial ride, this bike feels absolutely amazing. In true KTM form and function, it really does very well offroad for being a MX bike.It feels as good as my 250sx did in the mountains and on single track. Not ideal if I was only riding mountains, but still really good for the trails. It feels as light and "flickable" as my yz125 on medium sized trails. 

The chassis feels perfectly balanced, and I honestly do notice a little difference in feel with that subframe. I like it, it doesn't punish me for mistakes. Initially it feels like it rides on that fine line between stability and maneuverability, which KTMs have been known for since 2014ish. It doesn't quite have the front end traction and feeling of the Suzukis, but the light weight characteristic put together with all the angles make it feel just as intuitive and as easy to turn in and hold that line as a Zook. Stock for stock, this bike feels way more stable though. I did not like how my Suzuki felt in sand, deep whoops, or any bigger bumps and ruts that can be fairly common. The Husky isn't as stable as the Yamahas I have ridden lately, but it's not too far off. It also doesn't have the vague turn in as the Yamis though.. Overall I am very happy with the balance and poise from this frame set up, my only minor complaint is that it feels a little loose and slidey, but I think that has more to do with the tires, riding conditions, and the suspension set up. 

The suspension feels great initially. The fork feels much less divey than my TAC fork on the Suzuki. Honestly, I didn't think that the Suzuki fork was all that bad, until I rode this one lol. I like air forks, so I put up with the Suzuki for a few hours, but after the first ride this WP feels night and day better. Much more supple than the Showa TAC fork. It feels like a Fox 40 DH MTB fork, but scaled up. Small bump sensitive is up there with Kayaba SSS. Smoothe, supportive, and almost perfect really. I need to test how it feels when casing big tables, and the bottoming resistance, but I suspect it will be better than my yz125 with the stock springs (I leave them stock cuz I let my friends/family ride the 125). I didn't notice the performance of the shock yet too much, other than I want it to settle down a bit in the back a little more, it feels slightly loose. I have a heavier spring for my weight that's 5mm longer (265mm vs 260) than stock tho, so that may have something to do with it, I may put the stock one back on and test that. I never usually change my rear shock springs, I like stock ones and how they ride a little lower in the travel. I went higher spring weight with this Husky, and it feels good, but loose like it's riding higher in the stroke than I am used to. 

Engine is outstanding. I didn't know what to expect, but it feels great. I don't really care about engine performance, and I like all engine sizes and all their different characteristics. This 350 feels significantly torquier than a 250f, but doesn't have that "hit" like a 250 two stroke or 450f does. Its very easy to ride honestly, and I think it will make a great track engine for me. It is very smoothe, like a toned down 450. I haven't revved the shit out of it yet, waiting till after break in. I suspect it will surprise me when I open it up. 

Cockpit feels great stock. Im tall and don't notice anything weird. I don't feel like I'm sitting "in" the bike like a YZ 250, but I also don't feel like I'm sitting on top of the bike like a YZ450f. It's that medium right in between, and I feel like all KTMs feel like this since 2013.. It feels thin and the plastics are easy to grab with your knees. The entire bike just feels spot on.

Now its time do check the valves. 1 hour valve check is a bit annoying, but otherwise the maintenance schedule doesn't look too extensive or out of the ordinary. 

Great review and a great read. Thanks for that response.

• 1 month later...

Stock chain was pretty hammered so I freshened up the drivetrain. I'm going to try a 51T, especially because I am going to be riding indoors for the next couple months. So I will try that and then leave it on once I go back outside and see if I like it. If not, I'll just get another 50T. Decided to try the Dirt Tricks sprocket. Pricey but supposedly they are worth it. I love how they look. 

20181202_135750sm.jpg

20181202_135917sm.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

Stock chain was pretty hammered so I freshened up the drivetrain. I'm going to try a 51T, especially because I am going to be riding indoors for the next couple months. So I will try that and then leave it on once I go back outside and see if I like it. If not, I'll just get another 50T. Decided to try the Dirt Tricks sprocket. Pricey but supposedly they are worth it. I love how they look. 

20181202_135750sm.jpg

20181202_135917sm.jpg

Is it the photo or is the chain a wee loose?

3 minutes ago, smv ryder said:

Is it the photo or is the chain a wee loose?

It may be. The chain is really stiff out of the box, so I just didn't want to crank down on it right away. I usually take a few runs around the yard and then re-tighten, but just didn't get to because we were doing Christmas decorations all day lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rode some indoor with the new gearing. Didn't feel drastically different. For sure had plenty of snap. I did the whole track in 2nd gear but I also did that last year on the old layout, with stock gearing. So all I can say is that works well indoors. The real test will be when I ride outdoors and see what my shift points will be like at the top of 2nd. And also see if I can keep momentum and do fast turns in 3rd of if 2nd is still the better gear. Gearing is quite the topic with these 350s, so I just want to experiment for my own knowledge. I seriously doubt that I would even try the countershaft swap though (13t). I know a few guys that did that and thought it was good at first, but ended up going back to the 14t.

20181211_231303.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smv ryder said:

I was running 13/50 the last 2 seasons and loved it. I believe we use the bikes for different uses, i.e me single track and you riding track but still give it a try IMO. I changed my gearing this season to 13/51, so I will be testing to see if I geared too low or just right.

Ya, post up your experiences as you ride more.

I certainly wouldn't benefit from the change at the countershaft but just adding 1t on the back was something I needed to try. If it ends up being counter-productive then I'll just go back to stock (which is really good for me). But I still would like to hear how the gearing works for you.

• Like 1