2009 WR250F headlight electrical issues?

My friend is looking at a used 09' wr250 and the owner removed the headlight because it was broken.  The owner said after the headlight was removed he had to rewire something on the bike because it would not run right after removing the headlight.  My question is does this make sense?  Is this a common problem to have a headlight make the bike run bad when removed?  I've never heard of this but thought I would ask..

Thanks,

Chris

Yes.  The electrical system is designed to run with a load on it.  The headlight is the main load, the tail light most of the rest.  Headlight is 35watts, tail about 5 watts.  I have removed tail lights and replaced with LEDs and gotten a brighter headlight as a result.  With the headlight removed, the load must be shunted back thru the regulator, and the power is dissipated as heat in the stator.  It will not last long as the heat will destroy the components, including the stator and regulator.  Once the stator goes, it will not provide enough power if any to the CDI.  There have been several threads from back around '05 '06 '07 or so where guys removed the lights, and changed the loads to compensate, but I can't remember who or when, you'll have to search it.  My recommendation would be to leave the lighting in place.... but that's me.  Unless the current owner can tell you and show you what he modified and how, so that it can be reversed, I'd be cautious at least, and walk if things go south.

I learned this when the headlight blew on my 07 wr250f. It had a high rpm sputter. I checked/replaced/fixed almost everything else before I ran across someone who noticed the headlight and explained what was going on. My regulator/rectifier and burned out. Replaced the headlight and regulator/rectifier and runs like a champ. I have read that you can replace the headlight with a 35 amp watt resistor and serve the same purpose.