Noob question. I have tried on two pairs of boots, Oneal and Forma Dominator. I've had the Oneal's for 2 years. They are a very soft boot and I'm recently getting a lot of foot and ankle injuries so bought the Forma boots. They were in my price range and seemed to be a huge improvement over the Oneal's. They fit perfectly and I like them. I'm worried about the flex in the ankle. They have the pivot which I thought would lock at a certain point so that your ankle doesn't flex forward too much. These don't seem to do that. The only thing keeping them from flexing forward is when the bottom two buckles come together.

Is this pretty standard for boots in this price range? Do more expensive boots or other brands keep your foot from flexing so much? Is the flex necessary to prevent pulling or straining the muscles or ligaments at the back of your heel (common injury for me)? Or would a stiffer boot at the ankle prevent this type of injury?20170919_120248.jpg

Most higher end boots will have a hinged ankle that prevents over extension/flexion. I've had the SG 10's for a few years now and they have been great for the price. Nice hinged ankle, sturdy sole that grips will and holds up great. Before the SG10 I had some cheap $120 fox boots that we're not much more than a glorified work boot in terms of protection. Boots and helmet IMO are something I would spend a little more money on just to be comfortable and safe.

• Like 1