Upper chain guide broken, replace or leave off?

The upper chain guide or protector thing that runs above the rear swingarm broke.  

I know that none of my other bikes ever had one but none was ever street legal.  Is that thing for looks and for trying to keep stuff off a road riders leg?  

Would you replace it or forget about it forever?  

1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

Always remove before even start the bike.

It is there only for homologation.

Great.  I'm not getting another one, that's for sure.  I'm actually glad the little it did weigh, is gone.  

Nice.  It had to be a matter of time before it busted anyway.  This past weekend was it's time. 

I do wonder, though, was it to contain the chain-sling?, the lube that we'd put on the chain?  

Took mine off before ever riding the bike. Also took off the counter sprocket plastic cover. Always do on every bike.

I realized, last night while looking at both the 2016 and 2017 Beta brochures, that ALL Beta's come with that same chain guide/guard-whatever the F it is.  

It actually looks ok, but as it does just about nothing but look good.  My broken one is already on the way to the incinerator.  

Had I known that it would eventually break, I would have taken it off on Day 1 and saved it in a box with all the other Beta-stuff I have from the bike.  Let this be a warning/suggestion all you nice, new/prospective/soon to be Beta owners.  

If you sell the bike the buyer may need one to get the bike inspected. That's the case in my state. In fact, I had to buy one for the wr250x I bought earlier this year.