Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I googled them and all the pics are four door with a short (useless to me) bed. Wonder if they will make a single cab or extended cab version with a six foot bed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, katoom64 said:

I googled them and all the pics are four door with a short (useless to me) bed. Wonder if they will make a single cab or extended cab version with a six foot bed?

If you can make do with a 6' bed, I don't see how a 5' bed would be useless.  I spent 11 years with a 5' bed Frontier and I don't think I ever ran across a single instance where a 6' bed would have made a difference in being able to haul something.

But Ford is the king of configuration options, I'm sure they'll be crew cabs, ext cabs, and single cabs and all will probably let you choose a short bed or long bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were several pics of the X-cab model with a longer bed in the ones I found. They were covered with a disguising wrap on them with the Motor Trend name on the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing looks as bad(girlyman) as a Ridgeline. Well, maybe the Mitisubishi variant of the Dakota,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the looks of both but the stupid high bed has me looking elsewhere. I am 6'1" and loading something into the bed over the sides is just ridiculous. I think the guys designing those two are city boys who never actually use a truck as a truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This truck has been available in Asia for a couple of years now. My brother-law has one I drove it many times when me go to Thailand .It is a very sweet ride it is the same size as the current 2017 small pick up from Japan.  It is the Global model that is available around the world but not here it has a crew cab ,6 speed tranny ,diesel motor. I have had Ford Rangers since 1990 and still own one. This truck is good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But will it suffer the same fate as most small trucks in the US ?  price too close to full size, mpg too close to full size, less room, less tow, less cargo than full size?   full size 1/2 ton market is so competitive it is usually a better value.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the price and mpg aren't favorable I will pass. I like the X-tra cab versions for fitting in my garage and I never carry any real payload, just a bike and gas cans. The midsize is perfect for my needs. If the details don't work I will go full size or maybe even stick to a small suv and light trailer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2017 at 2:44 AM, cshank said:

This truck has been available in Asia for a couple of years now. My brother-law has one I drove it many times when me go to Thailand .It is a very sweet ride it is the same size as the current 2017 small pick up from Japan.  It is the Global model that is available around the world but not here it has a crew cab ,6 speed tranny ,diesel motor. I have had Ford Rangers since 1990 and still own one. This truck is good

And Aus too. 

On 9/24/2017 at 3:10 AM, YHGEORGE said:

If the price and mpg aren't favorable I will pass. I like the X-tra cab versions for fitting in my garage and I never carry any real payload, just a bike and gas cans. The midsize is perfect for my needs. If the details don't work I will go full size or maybe even stick to a small suv and light trailer.

They are excellent and the ride is unbelievably good, even on rough dirt roads with a boat in tow. I was in one last weekend when I went fishing. My uncle has the 2x4 twin cab version as a government car.

It was a diesel version, towing the boat it consumed diesel at 12.5 Litres per 100km. That is almost 19mpg.

My diesel Nissan generally averages 13.5L/100 (17MPG) not towing.

I can guarantee that you would be happy with it. Not for me though, as occasionally I thrash my truck like a 600 dollar beater, and non Patrol driveline flies apart when you do that :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 1:12 PM, YHGEORGE said:

I like the looks of both but the stupid high bed has me looking elsewhere. I am 6'1" and loading something into the bed over the sides is just ridiculous. I think the guys designing those two are city boys who never actually use a truck as a truck.

I hate how Ford is doing that.  I'm 5-8 and I swear the bed rails of my 2014 F150 are darned near the height of my shoulder.  The Chevy's I looked at had bed heights that were much more user friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Depending on the tire and wheel combo the bed of the full size Chevy can be lower than on the Co/Canyon. I don't understand modern day trucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2017 at 10:14 AM, cshank said:

This truck has been available in Asia for a couple of years now. My brother-law has one I drove it many times when me go to Thailand .It is a very sweet ride it is the same size as the current 2017 small pick up from Japan.  It is the Global model that is available around the world but not here it has a crew cab ,6 speed tranny ,diesel motor. I have had Ford Rangers since 1990 and still own one. This truck is good

Funny you mention Thailand and Tranny in the same paragraph... Lol.. How may can fit in a Ranger again? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the old ranger, solid, built tough, and not gigantic. Not sure how I feel about the new one. Idk if it's built as tough to endure years and years of thrashing. Also, if no manual in the US it's a good as garbage to me anyway. I'm in the minority, I realize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 11:38 AM, bassjam said:

If you can make do with a 6' bed, I don't see how a 5' bed would be useless.  I spent 11 years with a 5' bed Frontier and I don't think I ever ran across a single instance where a 6' bed would have made a difference in being able to haul something.

But Ford is the king of configuration options, I'm sure they'll be crew cabs, ext cabs, and single cabs and all will probably let you choose a short bed or long bed.

Years ago, I think the generation that ended in 1996, Ford short boxes were 7' and it was perfect.  We put two bikes forward and one backward.  I had a '74 F100 short box, 302 V8 with a three on the tree.  We ran the hell out of that truck, it was a good one.  Rangers are good little trucks too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 2:42 PM, YHGEORGE said:

Yep. Depending on the tire and wheel combo the bed of the full size Chevy can be lower than on the Co/Canyon. I don't understand modern day trucks.

I take that back,,,,I don't understand modern day city boy truck designers. Girlymen one and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RawbW said:

I like the old ranger, solid, built tough, and not gigantic. Not sure how I feel about the new one. Idk if it's built as tough to endure years and years of thrashing. Also, if no manual in the US it's a good as garbage to me anyway. I'm in the minority, I realize.

I'm with you although I did give up on getting a manual in a half ton full size pickup. Even my wife's minivan (mazda 5) is a 6 spd manual.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×