Good News for Green Sticker Program Fans

CORVA-alert.png

Update on Legislation to Reauthorize the OHV Program in California - SB 249.

Just a few short months ago, we never would have believed we could take out 90% of the objectionable components
of SB 249, and rewrite the bill using current law as the basis for moving forward. Because of your calls and
communications to legislators and justified anger at the original language in SB 249, the OHV community was able to
convince the author and legislative leaders to work collaboratively on this bill and it's companion bill SB 159. SB 249
removed the sunset for the California OHV recreation program, giving us a permanent program and grants program
protected by statute!

Read the Full Article Online

• Like 6

Pardon me for sounding ignorant, but does this have anything to do with the plans I saw to sunset the red sticker program?

I know that SB 249 was really not good in general for OHV's/our access to land.

CORVA is claiming a win for the OHV community making permanent the OHV Grant Program...  this means the State will continue to pay the Feds and others our gas tax dollars to build picnic tables and pit toilets near trail heads...  and have the money they need to continue to close OHV trails not on the agency mandated OHV Maps. New trails will not and has never been a priority. State operated SVRAs have their own budget under State Parks so the green sticker grant program is not for those.

But I expect the Red Sticker bikes will be gone sooner or later on public lands. 

Read the full story and write your CORVA reps for more detail.  :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, MXT said:

Pardon me for sounding ignorant, but does this have anything to do with the plans I saw to sunset the red sticker program?

I know that SB 249 was really not good in general for OHV's/our access to land.

Red sticker regulations is all CARB.

thank god they will continue to pay for toilets as i dont ride much i just like to take big shits in the pit toilets, 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, squid reuel said:

thank god they will continue to pay for toilets as i dont ride much i just like to take big shits in the pit toilets, 

And if in the Big Bear area you might get the newly upgraded solar powered pit toilets...  first one I saw was of course under the shade of massive trees...  but hey who expects them to actually work...  LOL

• Like 2

i remember being at stonyford, so much down fall now one could ride, but the toilets were keep very clean 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, squid reuel said:

i remember being at stonyford, so much down fall now one could ride, but the toilets were keep very clean 

i know the toilet cleaners would rather be out clearing trails then cleaning up shit but the orders came from above so they had no choice 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

State operated SVRAs have their own budget under State Parks so the green sticker grant program is not for those.

While I agree in general with the other parts of your comment, the SVRAs are purchased and operated with OHV funds.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

In other news, a number of new trails have been opened with Green Sticker grants to privately run groups up in the Mammoth Lakes area. Shorter trails, but singletrack through the pine trees nonetheless. Can stage in town and access all of the via FS roads and get up into 5th gear for a bit.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, stevethe said:

http://www.corva.org/news/5267195

Hum it could be the 10% of whats left, they say is objectionable is real bad??

No, one of the objectionable items is an addition to the Public Resources Code (governs the OHV program) that sets a sunset (deletion) date for the OHMVR Commission in 5 years.  This will be worked on during the next legislative cycle.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

Can someone explain this? I read the ting and I have no idea what it means.

Most of the previous comments have to do with the money that the OHV program gives out annually in grants.  A majority of the money is not used to provide new riding opportunities.  The toilets have been installed in places where there was too many people peeing and pooping on the ground, creating a potential health hazard.  One of the lakes on the famed Rubicon Trail was closed due to too much bad bacterial in the water generated by human poop in or near the waters edge.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

20 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

State operated SVRAs have their own budget under State Parks so the green sticker grant program is not for those.

2 hours ago, brewster said:

While I agree in general with the other parts of your comment, the SVRAs are purchased and operated with OHV funds.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

A vast majority of OHMVR funding comes from Fuel taxes followed by green sticker registration fees which account for only 17% of the funding. 

SVRA and Grant funding both come from the same fund.

Up to 50% of the OHV Fund is allocated to grants each year. If you see a ""Your OHV Funds at Work" sticker (usually on a bathroom lol) on anything not associated with an SVRA or state parks property, then it is funded through Grants. Some of the grants fund really cool things. Some fund fences. Some fund the Sheriffs that are trying to catch you when you are riding where you shouldn't be  you've been riding for the last 30 years.

AFAIK

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/25010/files/OHMVR Program Overview Info Bulletin-May_2017.pdf

ohvfund.jpg

• Like 1

If the Green Sticker program had sunsetted the SVRAs would still get their money from the Parks Department under which all of this is umbrellaed...  but the grant program and the whole infrastructure likely gone.

Green sticker program dollar recipients don't get the money the program collects each year...  they get an allocation of only a portion of the total...  and of that it gets spread around to different agencies...  and of that 25% guaranteed to law enforcement efforts...  much of it to restoration meaning closing well established non agency approved aka mapped trails...  and also toilets, fire rings, fencing, picnic tables...  

Bottomline...  how many new miles of trail have these many millions of dollars bought us in the last decade while the number of users has skyrocketed ? 

That's the only measure that matters...  so the program is a total FAILURE !

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

If the Green Sticker program had sunsetted the SVRAs would still get their money from the Parks Department under which all of this is umbrellaed...  but the grant program and the whole infrastructure likely gone.

Green sticker program dollar recipients don't get the money the program collects each year...  they get an allocation of only a portion of the total...  and of that it gets spread around to different agencies...  and of that 25% guaranteed to law enforcement efforts...  much of it to restoration meaning closing well established non agency approved aka mapped trails...  and also toilets, fire rings, fencing, picnic tables...  

Bottomline...  how many new miles of trail have these many millions of dollars bought us in the last decade while the number of users has skyrocketed ? 

I've only seen closures and more fences. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

State Parks has no money. They can barely stay afloat keeping their simple little parks open. The SVRAs would either close or be completely un-managed, which would pretty much lead to closure due to lawsuits. The Department isn't going to fight the lawsuits like OHMVR is mandated to do. (This of course assumes the existing funding just disappears with the sunset and no other legislation puts the burden on SP).

While I agree OHMVR is far from perfect and combining it with SP castrated it, there is still no other government entity anywhere who's MANDATED BY LAW to protect OHV opportunities in California. It is entirely possible that without OHMVR there would be no LEGAL riding anywhere in CA, so can't agree that it is a complete failure. In the end they are just doing Moonbeam's bidding within the bounds of that law.

Also, how grants are allocated is mandated by law as well. Thank your legislators for what OHMVR is required to do. 10% total (20% of the 50% for Grants) of the OHV Fund goes to Law enforcement.

Edit: From the link

The Grants Program has four categories with distinct funding allocations appropriated by the Legislature (Public Resources Code (PRC) §5090.50(b):

OHV Operations and Maintenance - 50%...

OHV Restoration - 25%...

OHV Law Enforcement - 20%...

OHV Education and Safety - 5%...

Edited by basalt