Drz front end squeak

My new to me Drz has a squeak in the front end.  

It only happens when I'm riding, when I have the front wheel off the ground and spin it, I hear only the light "swish swish swish" of the brake pad on the caliper. 

So I guess that this problem only presents itself when under load, or at speed.  I do hear it around 15mph.  

The bearings seem fine, the wheel has no wobble when I check.  I suppose it's possible that the components aren't greasy enough, though that seems too simple- they are pretty greasy.  

Anyone have any ideas?  It doesn't seem dangerous, but it may become dangerous if I let it go.  

Thanks!

Check for front-end squeak.

Get a cat. Any cat will do. Maybe not a fat, slow one.

Place said cat near the front-end of the bike.

If a hamster is present it will likely make a rapid tactical withdrawal, taking the squeak with it.

Problem solved.

1 minute ago, BLAM said:

Check for front-end squeak.

Get a cat. Any cat will do. Maybe not a fat, slow one.

Place said cat near the front-end of the bike.

If a hamster is present it will likely make a rapid tactical withdrawal, taking the squeak with it.

Problem solved.

I mean, I have cats to spare.   I think they've murdered all the available squeaking creatures in the area.   

Thanks though.  

• Like 1

Check the brake pads. there could be a "wear out sensor" in form of a plate with a bent tab to squeak against a disc when pads are coming to their logical end.

I had smth similar on my rear wheel.

• Like 1

Just now, Yanka said:

Check the brake pads. there could be a "wear out sensor" in form of a plate with a bent tab to squeak against a disc when pads are coming to their logical end.

I had smth similar on my rear wheel.

That could be.  They don't look worn out, but I suppose they might be on their way.   I'll check tomorrow. 

never had it happen on the drz, but on a couple of other bikes even a brand new one, the fork seals were squeaking .. alittle silicone based lube on the tubes and it solved that particular problem, something to check anyway ..

1 hour ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Wheel bearings. They come almost grease free when new and it's tough to really inspect them when mounted on the bike. That is, unless they are totally trashed, then it's obvious.

I think I'm going to replace them  out of paranoia if nothing else.  It's not like they're expensive.  Then if it solves the problem I'll both know the answer, and be safe!

• Like 2

I think I'm going to replace them  out of paranoia if nothing else.  It's not like they're expensive.  Then if it solves the problem I'll both know the answer, and be safe!

Good call. I even add grease to brand new wheel bearings. Use a dental pick and pop the plastic "seal" off the side and pack them properly and snap the plastic back in. The grease they come with is more like Vaseline than grease, makes it pretty obvious why they fail so often in muddy, wet conditions.
  • Like 1