'18 250xc worth the extra $1k?

I agree with the above, get the 17, you can spend the 1000 getting a different carb, and other goodies.  Slavens is offering a 38mm Keihin set up and ready to go to replace the pos Mikuni.  I went Lectron, but would have given the Keihin a serious look had I known about it.  Just go in knowing the Mikuni sucks, and KTM owes us all an apology for putting that thing on the 17's.  How much are they asking OTD for the 17?

Edited by poldies4

45 minutes ago, poldies4 said:

I agree with the above, get the 17, you can spend the 1000 getting a different carb, and other goodies.  Slavens is offering a 38mm Keihin set up and ready to go to replace the pos Mikuni.  I went Lectron, but would have given the Keihin a serious look had I known about it.  Just go in knowing the Mikuni sucks, and KTM owes us all an apology for putting that thing on the 17's.  How much are they asking OTD for the 17?

I was thinking lectron if I'm gonna change the carb. I'm gonna try the JD jet kit before I buy a carb as some have reported good things. 

Roughly 8200 out the door. I've found them a little cheaper but this is my local dealer and they do a ton to support our local race series. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

I was thinking lectron if I'm gonna change the carb. I'm gonna try the JD jet kit before I buy a carb as some have reported good things. 

Roughly 8200 out the door. I've found them a little cheaper but this is my local dealer and they do a ton to support our local race series. 

I run the JD kit in my 17 and it one of the best carbed bikes I've owned. 

• Like 2

I just bought a 17sx used with 5 hours on it and saved about 2500 - comming off a yz250 with head mods and the carb dialed i was expecting this bike to run like shit stock as everyone says but it's honestly perfect i can't get it to burble or feel weird anywhere ..... really liking this new ktm 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, dirtywardog said:

I just bought a 17sx used with 5 hours on it and saved about 2500 - comming off a yz250 with head mods and the carb dialed i was expecting this bike to run like shit stock as everyone says but it's honestly perfect i can't get it to burble or feel weird anywhere ..... really liking this new ktm 

Cool that you like the bike, how does it compare with your YZ ? 

59 minutes ago, LukeYZ426F said:

About what I paid for mine.  Great bike, good luck with the carb.  Mine would stutter terribly at 1/4 throttle and below.  I'm a Lectron fan, and after reading many threads about trying to dial in the Mikuni the choice became easy.  I have read that the Mikuni is very sensitive to weather changes, runs great today, not so good tomorrow.  Either way, congrats on the new bike!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LukeYZ426F said:

Hopefully meeting a guy tomorrow at the ktm stealership to sell my bike and pick up a new 250xc. The 17 is 1,000 less than the 18... I was planning on getting the 17 but curious as to what y'all think. 

i have both 17 and 18 , 18 has much better valving front and rear

4 hours ago, LukeYZ426F said:

exactly....JD kit fixes all issues on the mikuni. Been stated millions of times by everyone.

Joe

• Like 1

Got the 17. Waiting to get the ok to come pick it up. Got the FMF turbine core 2.1 slip on, acerbis skid plate, cycra pro guards or what ever (the black ones), and a JD jet kit. They offered to install all of it for free! And they have been racing a 2017 250xc as a demo bike so they know how to get the carb tuned in! 

Already been in touch with my local tuner FASTLAP! He's for sure gonna do the rear and I'm contemplating sending the forks to Kreft for the outside revavle control. 

6 hours ago, poldies4 said:

I think ktm owe's everyone a new carb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeYZ426F said:

Got the 17. Waiting to get the ok to come pick it up. Got the FMF turbine core 2.1 slip on, acerbis skid plate, cycra pro guards or what ever (the black ones), and a JD jet kit. They offered to install all of it for free! And they have been racing a 2017 250xc as a demo bike so they know how to get the carb tuned in! 

Already been in touch with my local tuner FASTLAP! He's for sure gonna do the rear and I'm contemplating sending the forks to Kreft for the outside revavle control. 

Ride the bike first before doing a revalve. I sprung the back for my weight and set the front by feel. After about a 20 hour break in best suspension on a ktm I ever owned. First bike I didn't get a revalve on.  Bike handles everything from slow snail trails to fast and wooped out. I thought the shock was a little harsh at first but after about 20 hours the harshness went away.  I'm a 200lb A level enduro if that matters. 

• Like 2