Strapping my bike on the trailer

I have been riding bikes for 44 years and just recently purchased a 2108 450SXF. I bought KTM straps, which had soft straps, and I had a friend say that KTM says DO NOT STRAP THE HANDLEBARS, but rather strap the triple clamps. Input or feedback? I've never done this!

It works great. It compresses the forks for resistance, lowers the leverage on the bike and doesn’t mess with controls and cables. Never had it fail and doesn’t slip in position.

8 minutes ago, lp6 said:

It works great. It compresses the forks for resistance, lowers the leverage on the bike and doesn’t mess with controls and cables. Never had it fail and doesn’t slip in position.

OK. Are using tethers? 

Not sure what you mean. The soft strap wraps around the forks, loops on the end of the strap hook to hook sewn in to the strap and at the end is a buckle. Another strap (trapped in the tensioning buckle or ratchet, depending which model you have) with a hook or clip goes to the trailer. Pull the tag end(loose end) of the strap coming out of the buckle and that is it to tension it. You can cinch down the pegs or rear wheel if you are worried about it flopping around. Most of that depend on trailer configuration. I use a hitch carrier mostly and hook a strap to the pegs to hold the center down and the rear wheel in the tray.

I use Lock n Load on my bikes in general but i have done the lower clamp thing before.  Generally on sport bikes where its easier to get to the lower clamp.  I have never had issues going to the bars as long as you wrap under the kill switch wire/clutch line.

With Risk Racing Lock n load it holds the pegs.  On KTMS it doesn't work as well since the pegs are a little narrower than other bikes.  There are other systems out there that hold from the pegs that work better on KTM/Husky.  Pitbull goes to the rear axle.  Another one that is escaping me at the moment uses the pegs but fold down into the trailer.  The lock n load was a super pain on my yz250 cause the expansion chamber was a bit too wide to fit through easily so it made loading a pain.

10629182186_b1c42427b6_b.jpg

• Like 1

I use the KTM straps and have used them both in bed and on a hitch rack by strapping them around the base of the bars with no issues. I did this on the stock bars and with my protapers with no issues. Maybe the 2018's are different?

• Like 1

I've strapped mine every which way you can and it's never hurt a thing.

• Like 2

You can use soft straps that go around your forks above the lower clamps and a regular cam-style motorcycle strap. Obviously make sure the angle is good and you aren't pulling funny on your front number plate. That being said, I have used soft straps on my handlebars on my '16 for the last 2 years without any noticeable issues.

• Like 1