2009 WR250R mod questions.

I have a modified XR650L and based on lessons learned I have a few questions for my bone stock 2009 WR250R. 

I love steering dampers, whose kit will fit under my stock handle bars? (I don't have access to the bike, they are 7/8 inch bars?)

I was very disappointed in the weight savings and power, for the money, with my FMF slip on for the XR. Does a FMF slip on and associated AIS plug provide a significant weight savings and/or power increase?

I've ordered a lowering link and lower Seatconcepts seat, any other must have mod out there?

Todd

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:22 AM, Todd00000 said:

I know the name of the companies, are our stock handle bars 7/8 inch? 

They are 7/8 bars, but the cross bar is to low to fit a damper between the cross bar and handle bar. Keep in mind the stock bars are the equivalent of a $20.00 steel handlebar so its doesn't make a lot of since to put an damper on without upgrading to better aluminum bars as well.

http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabilizer_Purchase.php?Make=Yamaha&Model=WR&Bike_ID=4761&Year=2009&Size=250&Add_On= R

The above link will show you the option we have to mount a damper on the bike. #3 and #4 specifically.

Thanks-

Eric

21 hours ago, eram310 said:

Yes they are.

Thank you. 

7 hours ago, Eric@ScottsPerformance said:

They are 7/8 bars, but the cross bar is to low to fit a damper between the cross bar and handle bar. Keep in mind the stock bars are the equivalent of a $20.00 steel handlebar so its doesn't make a lot of since to put an damper on without upgrading to better aluminum bars as well.

http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabilizer_Purchase.php?Make=Yamaha&Model=WR&Bike_ID=4761&Year=2009&Size=250&Add_On= R

The above link will show you the option we have to mount a damper on the bike. #3 and #4 specifically.

Thanks-

Eric

Thank you, so with #4 I would need to get an aftermarket bar but other wise be good to go?

Edited by Todd00000

13 hours ago, Todd00000 said:

Thank you, so with #4 I would need to get an aftermarket bar but other wise be good to go?

That depends on several things that will determine if you have sufficient length in your control cables and wires:

1. The Scott's Under Bar (SUB) mount has built-in handlebar rise to make room for the stabilizer under the bars.  I'm not sure what the exact amount is, as I never measured my stock setup before installing the Scott's hardware.  You can see the difference in the upper photo below.
  2. There are a variety of aftermarket bar bends to choose from.  None of them are identical to stock dimensions, but some are closer than others.  Choosing a bend is usually a matter of personal ergonomic preference. Almost all aftermarket bars are a bit wider than stock (which appears to be narrower than industry norm.)  Some are also taller and/or have more or less sweep forwards and backwards compared to stock.  I'm a big fan of Pro Taper Evo handlebars, but there many other good brands and models out there too.  You'll have to choose a manufacturer, model, and bar bend for that model.  This handlebar bend simulator on Zeta's site will give an idea of how some of the various bends compare to stock WRR bend.
  3. Depending on the Scott's SUB mount rise + handlebar rise +/- handlebar width +/- handlebar sweep, you may or may not have to reroute and/or extend control cables and/or wiring.  The closer you stick to stock dimensions, the less likely you'll have to fuss with controls.  In my case I opted for Pro Taper's Woods High Bend, which were significantly wider and taller than stock bars.  I had to solder 3" extensions into controls wiring and purchase longer clutch and throttle cables to maintain factory routing.

Here's a photo of my setup, with the longer cables installed:

scotts12.jpg

And here's a photo of my bike next to a stock setup for comparison:

scotts11.jpg

I'll finish with a tip of my hat to Eric and the rest of the gang at Scott's.  The quality of their products are only eclipsed by their customer service.  I've got them (the stabilizers, not the employees) on my WRR and on my Beta 2-stroke dirt bike, and I'll never own another bike without one.

Edited by wwguy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wwguy said:

That depends on several things that will determine if you have sufficient length in your control cables and wires:

1. The Scott's Under Bar (SUB) mount has built-in handlebar rise to make room for the stabilizer under the bars.  I'm not sure what the exact amount is, as I never measured my stock setup before installing the Scott's hardware.  You can see the difference in the upper photo below.
  2. There are a variety of aftermarket bar bends to choose from.  None of them are identical to stock dimensions, but some are closer than others.  Choosing a bend is usually a matter of personal ergonomic preference. Almost all aftermarket bars are a bit wider than stock (which appears to be narrower than industry norm.)  Some are also taller and/or have more or less sweep forwards and backwards compared to stock.  I'm a big fan of Pro Taper Evo handlebars, but there many other good brands and models out there too.  You'll have to choose a manufacturer, model, and bar bend for that model.  This handlebar bend simulator on Zeta's site will give an idea of how some of the various bends compare to stock WRR bend.
  3. Depending on the Scott's SUB mount rise + handlebar rise +/- handlebar width +/- handlebar sweep, you may or may not have to reroute and/or extend control cables and/or wiring.  The closer you stick to stock dimensions, the less likely you'll have to fuss with controls.  In my case I opted for Pro Taper's Woods High Bend, which were significantly wider and taller than stock bars.  I had to solder 3" extensions into controls wiring and purchase longer clutch and throttle cables to maintain factory routing.

Here's a photo of my setup, with the longer cables installed:

scotts12.jpg

And here's a photo of my bike next to a stock setup for comparison:

scotts11.jpg

I'll finish with a tip of my hat to Eric and the rest of the gang at Scott's.  The quality of their products are only eclipsed by their customer service.  I've got them (the stabilizers, not the employees) on my WRR and on my Beta 2-stroke dirt bike, and I'll never own another bike without one.

The bike on the right is not stock however as it has bar risers on it....The SUB mount kit will raise the bars about 30mm, or just over an inch.

Just now, Eric@ScottsPerformance said:

The bike on the right is not stock however as it has bar risers on it....The SUB mount kit will raise the bars about 30mm, or just over an inch.

Whoops!  My mistake, and of course you are right.  Those are 30mm Tusk risers on my friend's bike on the right.

On 9/19/2017 at 11:13 PM, Todd00000 said:

I was very disappointed in the weight savings and power, for the money, with my FMF slip on for the XR. Does a FMF slip on and associated AIS plug provide a significant weight savings and/or power increase?

I have a full FMF setup (head pipe, silencer, & programmer) for sale over @ ADV if interested.

19 hours ago, _N8_ said:

I have a full FMF setup (head pipe, silencer, & programmer) for sale over @ ADV if interested.

Wwguy and Eric, thanks again, I will be ordering a kit today. 

Yes I'm interested, can you send me the link?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, _N8_ said:

Ok, I'll take it with the Q4, what else do I need to install this on the bike. that AIS eliminator?