[emoji599] ISO PW50 FRAME [emoji599]

Hi all.. My daughter went head on into a 4x4 fence post on her PW50 last week and bent the forks and waffled the frame behind neck tube... Thank god she is ok, but I need to get her bike fixed. Please let me know if you have one. I'm located in NJ.

Here's some pics of the damage....

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

If you can't find another frame, you could have that one straightened and strengthened with gussets for peace of mind.

If you can't find another frame, you could have that one straightened and strengthened with gussets for peace of mind.

Hi guys.. Yes. I'm after another frame.. I ordered new forks so that's squared away. So where would I take this frame to get straightened. A standard motor vehicle body shop?

1 hour ago, Myboyblue said:

Hi guys.. Yes. I'm after another frame.. I ordered new forks so that's squared away. So where would I take this frame to get straightened. A standard motor vehicle body shop?

Any sort of place that does metal fabrication. Body shop, welding shop, where ever. 

I would personally have a gusset welded in to ensure it won't fail suddenly in another crash. Good chance those welds will come apart when they straighten it.

Ok. I talked to a body shop this morning. They said all they would do is put it in a vice, heat it, and beat it. He said I should try it first. He recommended using a wooden block and beating right behind the neck tube. Then of course weld some gussets on. Well... I'll be giving that a whirl tonight. I'll keep you all posted...

Hold the frame solid. Put a long pipe up through the steering head. Heat the wrinkles and pull it out straight with the pipe. Gusset as needed. Basically just re-create the impact in the opposite direction

• Like 1

I gave it a whirl and didn't have much luck. I found a frame on eBay for $75. I'll mess with it again and see how I do.
IMG_3628.JPG

You probably won't be able to get enough heat to it with that torch you'll need a full size torch. If you can find I good way to hold the head tube steady you may be able to come along the frame or even hook it to a truck and pull if your careful about it. I'm really surprised a person went fast enough to do that much damage.

• Like 1

You probably won't be able to get enough heat to it with that torch you'll need a full size torch. If you can find I good way to hold the head tube steady you may be able to come along the frame or even hook it to a truck and pull if your careful about it. I'm really surprised a person went fast enough to do that much damage.

Yeah... it was just a MAPP gas torch... Hotter than propane but still not hot enough..

10 minutes ago, nickmell said:

Definitely this. You need to heat both sides and see if you can get a bar to fit somewhat well in the head tube so when you apply pressure, it doesn't bend the lips.

Maybe ask the shop if they can do it for $75 or less.

Hi Fellas... Just to close the loop here, here's the update. I got the 1981 frame in the mail a few days ago. It had some surface rust in some areas but all the welds are clean and solid. The only issue I noticed with the frame was that the steering stop had been sheared off. I ended up cutting it off the bent frame and welded it to the frame I got from eBay.
Anyway, I hose off the frame and put it in my sand blaster to clean it up... Blew it off, wiped it down with acetone and put on some rattle can auto primer.
IMG_3635.PNG
IMG_3755.JPG
I then put two thick coats of rattle can glossy black. The frame dried over night. I completed what was left of the disassembly and then began reassembly.
IMG_3758.JPG
This is a pic of the steering stop I welded onto the neck tube.
IMG_3759.JPG
IMG_3760.JPG
IMG_3761.JPG
And she's all back together. My daughter now STILL believes I can fix anything.
IMG_3768.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG
IMG_3360.JPG
IMG_3544.JPG

• Like 3