2003 WR450F 5TH GEAR DROPPING IN AND OUT

Hey legends,

So after successfully rebuilding my 2003 WR450F (Bottom and top end) with an 06 crank and flywheel upgrade as well as a 480CC Athena big bore...Everything was going well...

On my 5th or 6th ride, the motor was well worn in and everything was running strong...I was out riding with mates when I noticed 5th gear start jumping in and out...It got worse and worse till the point where I did not use 5th gear anymore...At first i thought it might be the clutch but its only in 5th gear it does it .. :/ 

I did a little research and some people think ive damaged something inside the gearbox...

Can someone help me out on exactly what I need to do to get this fixed? I really don't want to have to disassemble the engine again :'(

Please help

Thanks

Ben

@grayracer513 Can you help at all??

Oh you are definitely splitting the cases again.    You have a bent shift fork and 2 worn gears ( the dogs 3rd and 5th ).  in your tranny.   There is no option besides replacing them. 

Seems like this topic pops up every month or so when I did a search when it happened to me a few months back.

• Like 1

Yup.  Worn gear dogs on the 5th and 3rd pinions (gears on the main shaft) and the center shift fork.  Under power, the gears "climb over" each other, which bends and wears the fork.