Spark is intermittent

Hey gents , I'm new to the forum. I'm having a problem with a new addition to the family, a 1998 Honda XR650L with 4500 actual miles. The promlem is spark it. When I received the bike I went to start it and all it did was just turn over and once in awhile it would back-fire. I went through the carb and cleaned it up. Tried it again and nothing. So I removed the plug and wire to check for spark. When I would turn the motor over it would spark once or twice and then stop sparking. So thats where I'am at. Any ideas would be great. Thanks Jim 

There are probably 100 threads over the past ten years about CDI issues.  Track some of those down and read them.

The other issue that often affects spark is the pulse generator.  Once I had replaced both on my bike I haven't had any spark issues for many years.

• Like 1

The CDI is powered by +12V on the 650L, battery can power it just fine, that's why the stator is not really in the 'no spark' fault tree for the L.

The 600R by comparison needs about 90V AC from the stator to fire a spark.

• Like 2

I wish people would stop saying  Stator when a no spark condition on a XR650L...you can fire the stator over your fence and the bike will still fire,,,until the battery dies..there are NO ignition windings on the XR650L Stator...

B

CDI or Pulse generator.

I had a part time CDI that would work and decide to not work. Giving it a couple taps got me started and home. Rebuilt and replaced the CDI and had starting issues. Turned out my pulse generator was weak and using the electric start it would not even fire a little but but it bump started easy which kind of gave the problem away.

I replaced the pulse generate and with the fixed CDI my bike has been rock solid staring and running hot or cold.