Countershaft Sprocket Washer moved - 2018 300

• 10 months later...
On 9/20/2017 at 2:06 PM, thebreezeexc said:

The front sprocket washer looks to have spun on my 18 300 xc-w.  The paint marks from the factory on the bolt, and large washer are no longer aligned.  Anyone else see this happen?  Is it an issue?  Are guys upgrading to the dirt tricks like they are on the thumpers?

I know this is an older thread, but I've noticed the same thing going on my 2018 300 xc.  Just wandering what you did to correct this issue?

19 hours ago, E-TECH said:

If you see something like this you need to realize it’s very very serious, you should take your motorcycle to the KTM dealership immediately...

Seriously guys this is not to be played with .

Not even remotely true.  In fact, I've never seen a KTM with a bolt on CS sprocket that didn't spin.  Dirt tricks washers spin too, FYI.  Nothing to worry about and totally normal, though they will wear a groove eventually - but your sprocket will be toast long before.

13 minutes ago, bikedude987 said:

Not even remotely true.  In fact, I've never seen a KTM with a bolt on CS sprocket that didn't spin.  Dirt tricks washers spin too, FYI.  Nothing to worry about and totally normal, though they will wear a groove eventually - but your sprocket will be toast long before.

13 minutes ago, bikedude987 said:

I was just having fun with it there bro ?

3 hours ago, bikedude987 said:

Thanks, good too know it's nothing serious

I noticed the same thing on my brand new '17 300xc.  The washer does spin but the bolt stays tight.  To prove my point, I took a sharpie marker and put a mark on all three parts (sprocket, washer and bolt).  The mark was one straight line so that if any one part moved relative to another, I could see what moved.  The bolt relative to the sprocket (and trans counter shaft) never moved and remained at the correct torque.  The washer move quite a bit in both directions and in different amounts on several rides.  Safe to say you are fine and it's not an issue.  I glad to see that other people are as OCD about stuff as me.  lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dshissam said:

I noticed the same thing on my brand new '17 300xc.  The washer does spin but the bolt stays tight.  To prove my point, I took a sharpie marker and put a mark on all three parts (sprocket, washer and bolt).  The mark was one straight line so that if any one part moved relative to another, I could see what moved.  The bolt relative to the sprocket (and trans counter shaft) never moved and remained at the correct torque.  The washer move quite a bit in both directions and in different amounts on several rides.  Safe to say you are fine and it's not an issue.  I glad to see that other people are as OCD about stuff as me.  lol

Thanks for the info.  I was going to do the same.  Now I think I'll just get rid of all markings and forget about it. ?

3 hours ago, dshissam said:

OCD? me too lol. When I read this had to check my 18. Yellow marks aren't even there no more. 

5 hours ago, dshissam said:

ktmHolland:  I used to be a MX race team mechanic for years.  I'm ruined now from OCD.  I'm more interested in listening for detonation than I am looking for the fastest line on the track.  hahahaha

Me too. Cant get rid of that damn detonation lol.