Best brake choice for Yamaha sss conversion

I apologize in advance if this has been talked about on a different thread but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. 

So the deal is that I have a 2002 yz250 project bike that I want to make into a legitimate race bike with a steel frame. I have already bought some sss forks off of a 2007 yz250f. At this time the only piece of the front brake system I have is the master cylinder, so I'm basically starting from scratch.

My question is what would be the best possible front brake setup for this bike? If I decided to go the crf route then what year models would i need to look for that fit. And would it be better to just by a modern yz setup instead of going the crf route? 

I pulled a simple brake caliper only switcharoo once between both my bikes ('10 YZ125 and '08 CRF250X)

installing the CRF-X larger (27mm pistons) caliper onto the YZ125 (22mm pistons) and vice-versa.

Honestly I'd didn't see much braking performance change on either bike,

if anything the YZ's master cylinder wasn't well matched to the added volume as the lever required more travel before it got firm.

Oppositely the CRF's lever felt too firm, not enough modulation especially for tight technical trail riding.

Have since switched everything back to their respective bikes.

I've also read the CRF is a preferred setup, if you go that route get a complete system, meaning both a CRF spec. master cylinder and caliper.

Edited by mlatour

I have an 05 YZ250 that I put an 09 front-end on including an 09 front brake assembly with Galfer's one piece oversized front rotor kit. These brakes are so much better with the oversized rotor.

Agree on the oversize rotor.  I recently rode a new yz250x with the stock oversize rotor, and the performance was comparable to my KTM, and much better than my 03 and 06 YZs.

Now, how you get there, I'm not sure--but I guess the kit that matches the forks you are using?

It looks like I can find the crf brake systems significantly cheaper than the yamaha ones so I'm thinking I might go that route. Does anyone know the years that will fit on the 07 sss forks? I know that yamaha changed the mount for the front caliper on one of he sss forks but does anyone know the year that those changed?

It looks like I can find the crf brake systems significantly cheaper than the yamaha ones so I'm thinking I might go that route. Does anyone know the years that will fit on the 07 sss forks? I know that yamaha changed the mount for the front caliper on one of he sss forks but does anyone know the year that those changed?

07 on the 250f and 08 on the 450. Measure to male sure. I don't have the exact measurments but the older spacing was 100ish mm and the new is 80ish.