confederateJACK

Would low disc brake fluid, in itself, cause brake to lock up/grab?

27 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, GlennRay said:

What kind of lubricant should be used on the pins that let the caliper slide?

I did my brakes a while ago, and I used just a little waterproof grease. 

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, Happy Dave said:

I did my brakes a while ago, and I used just a little waterproof grease. 

Thanks for the advice!

On 9/20/2017 at 5:34 PM, confederateJACK said:

How you came to that ignorant conclusion is beyond me.

hahaha

wait'll the motor oil runs low/ out... 

1 person likes this

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, confederateJACK said:

You would know...You hateful old bastard

Your a new user to TT, so let me just say "welcome".  Let me also point out that it's easy to confuse helpfulness for arrogance, as font types do not change for jokes and it's also possible to read the same thing and get a totally different meaning.

That said, we are all trying to work a solution to this problem ~ really!  Some have more tack than others but still, a working solution is the end game.  Sometimes it's best to leave a thread or just sit back and see how it unfolds, but getting personal never helps (we all have experience with that).  In your case and with this problem, just work through the basic's first (fluid level check, nothing binding or sticking, etc.) then come back if it isn't right yet ~ or report what you found. 

Easy peazy.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, zig06 said:

Your a new user to TT, so let me just say "welcome".  Let me also point out that it's easy to confuse helpfulness for arrogance, as font types do not change for jokes and it's also possible to read the same thing and get a totally different meaning.

That said, we are all trying to work a solution to this problem ~ really!  Some have more tack than others but still, a working solution is the end game.  Sometimes it's best to leave a thread or just sit back and see how it unfolds, but getting personal never helps (we all have experience with that).  In your case and with this problem, just work through the basic's first (fluid level check, nothing binding or sticking, etc.) then come back if it isn't right yet ~ or report what you found. 

Easy peazy.

Well I tend to treat people how they treat me,  I logged on for helpful info (and usually I get it, and i'm willing to give it in return), not a trash talking attitude fest. if I wanted that I could log onto Topix.com.  As it turns out (for the benefit of all who might be interested in a serious nature) The reservoir was full of brake fluid, the problem occurred because the caliper slider pins needed to be cleaned and lubed, also the 'return' hole inside the reservoir was clogged so I had to drill it out using a super tiny drill bit. I cleaned and flushed the system and refilled using DOT-4, I disconnected the top of the line and held it down inside of the brake fluid can and attached a clear tube to the bleeder port on the caliper and siphoned the fluid through to suck out all of the air from the line and fill it with fluid, it worked great to fill the line back up with fluid, i also used a seringe to inject fluid back into the caliper before refilling the line. the Front brakes are working perfectly again now. i also removed and cleaned the plunger-spring-rubber seals inside the reservoir unit.  During this particular post i got the impression some "newbies" to TT are hesitant to backtalk a Moderator for fear of being kicked off the site, and some moderators (and/or users) may take pleasure in running there mouths needlessly before they know all of the information, which by definition is "ignorant". Simply asking me details would have been a heck of a lot more courteous and helpful than passing judgement or putting someone else's maintenance habits or mechanical skills in question. I asked a serious question and got one good reply followed by nothing but bullshit.  if I said something to offend anyone it's only because they started the bullshit.  Moderator or not, ignorant ill informed reply's are useless and completely counter productive. I fully understand and have noticed that different moderators have better and more helpful attitudes than some others, this is just the first time I've encountered such an attitude display on this site. Usually it's very helpful and displays a community behavior. I guess sometimes a surly Moderator sets the tone for all other smack talk that follows. i'll continue to use the site, but i'm not going to lay down and tolerate any attitude from anyone without saying something back. i'd wager that particular moderator has had a history of similar behavior in the many previous reply's that he's given on other posts,(more 'trash talk'n attitude' than advice) but I guess everyone needs a hobby. Some people take pleasure in berating others needlessly. Feel free to kick me off at anytime if I act inappropriate but I respond accordingly to who i'm talking to with the same amount of politeness or insulting behavior that is showed to me, which ever is required.  I use the site for gathering and sharing helpful info and advice and that's typically what happens, but sometimes I guess bad behavior becomes contagious especially if the person being victimized is willing to take the abuse, I don't happen to be such a person. This issue is solved and the matter closed as far as i'm concerned and i'll no longer follow the post, I just wanted to log on and share what I found and what worked to fix it, which is the only reason why i'm here in the first place, and the only reason why i'll log on in the future. i'm not on here to talk shit or boast about my superior motorcycle knowledge or to inflate the size of my balls. i'll leave that to surly moderators and there small but loyal following of subservient newbie pups.

11 hours ago, confederateJACK said:

Well I tend to treat people how they treat me,  I logged on for helpful info (and usually I get it, and i'm willing to give it in return), not a trash talking attitude fest. if I wanted that I could log onto Topix.com.  As it turns out (for the benefit of all who might be interested in a serious nature) The reservoir was full of brake fluid, the problem occurred because the caliper slider pins needed to be cleaned and lubed, also the 'return' hole inside the reservoir was clogged so I had to drill it out using a super tiny drill bit. I cleaned and flushed the system and refilled using DOT-4, I disconnected the top of the line and held it down inside of the brake fluid can and attached a clear tube to the bleeder port on the caliper and siphoned the fluid through to suck out all of the air from the line and fill it with fluid, it worked great to fill the line back up with fluid, i also used a seringe to inject fluid back into the caliper before refilling the line. the Front brakes are working perfectly again now. i also removed and cleaned the plunger-spring-rubber seals inside the reservoir unit.  During this particular post i got the impression some "newbies" to TT are hesitant to backtalk a Moderator for fear of being kicked off the site, and some moderators (and/or users) may take pleasure in running there mouths needlessly before they know all of the information, which by definition is "ignorant". Simply asking me details would have been a heck of a lot more courteous and helpful than passing judgement or putting someone else's maintenance habits or mechanical skills in question. I asked a serious question and got one good reply followed by nothing but bullshit.  if I said something to offend anyone it's only because they started the bullshit.  Moderator or not, ignorant ill informed reply's are useless and completely counter productive. I fully understand and have noticed that different moderators have better and more helpful attitudes than some others, this is just the first time I've encountered such an attitude display on this site. Usually it's very helpful and displays a community behavior. I guess sometimes a surly Moderator sets the tone for all other smack talk that follows. i'll continue to use the site, but i'm not going to lay down and tolerate any attitude from anyone without saying something back. i'd wager that particular moderator has had a history of similar behavior in the many previous reply's that he's given on other posts,(more 'trash talk'n attitude' than advice) but I guess everyone needs a hobby. Some people take pleasure in berating others needlessly. Feel free to kick me off at anytime if I act inappropriate but I respond accordingly to who i'm talking to with the same amount of politeness or insulting behavior that is showed to me, which ever is required.  I use the site for gathering and sharing helpful info and advice and that's typically what happens, but sometimes I guess bad behavior becomes contagious especially if the person being victimized is willing to take the abuse, I don't happen to be such a person. This issue is solved and the matter closed as far as i'm concerned and i'll no longer follow the post, I just wanted to log on and share what I found and what worked to fix it, which is the only reason why i'm here in the first place, and the only reason why i'll log on in the future. i'm not on here to talk shit or boast about my superior motorcycle knowledge or to inflate the size of my balls. i'll leave that to surly moderators and there small but loyal following of subservient newbie pups.

Ok, and in the end the problem has been fixed and your back on your bike.  Gotta love a happy ending!