Plastics and graphics kit

That's the classic-looking (IMHO) 1996 - 2001 body work. The front fender & number plate changed in 2000. The 2000 (to 2005) front number plate has an upper attachment that screws down from the top (your black plate) rather than from the front (your blue "77" plate), and a different upper triple clamp to match.

The 2006 & up front number plate & front fender are a subtle styling upgrade (again, IMO) that matches the rest of the '96-'01 bodywork well.

Plastic & graphic kits should be readily available. Good luck, and keep us posted with what you do. ?

14 hours ago, P84ONE said:

1996-2001 graphics kit. You pick by whom. FX are good quality an I have used a couple different designs. 

Ebay: 1996-2001 graphics kit and go by lowest price and scroll through to a set you like. 

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1689.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2318.JPG

Holy shit, tell me what you have done to this bike (plastics,graphics kits,aftermarket parts,etc) It looks f***ing amazing

IMG_1320.JPG.57edb62a8171695f8f7fc308d29cfe36.JPG

All in the thread: YZ restorations by P84ONE

Bikes are completely dismantled. Frame is powder coated (only KDX something or other thinks PC frames is stupid, I have done 24, and painted one, NEVER AGAIN), New tires/tubes/wheel bearings, true the wheels, new plastics/graphics (air box is my own on some with carbon fiber look), new seat cover, new top end/seals/gaskets, new grips, and all bearings are new or cleaned and re-greased in link/swing/steering.

Then the bikes are sold to people who never had or love YZ 2 strokes.  

27 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

All in the thread: YZ restorations by P84ONE

Bikes are completely dismantled. Frame is powder coated (only KDX something or other thinks PC frames is stupid, I have done 24, and painted one, NEVER AGAIN), New tires/tubes/wheel bearings, true the wheels, new plastics/graphics (air box is my own on some with carbon fiber look), new seat cover, new top end/seals/gaskets, new grips, and all bearings are new or cleaned and re-greased in link/swing/steering.

Then the bikes are sold to people who never had or love YZ 2 strokes.  

damn bro, I will eventually get a new bike since my parents think this bike is "too old for me to waste money on."(Im 13 so I cant really argue) I will definitely hit you up when I get a new bike in like 5-6 months.

17 hours ago, Thtyzguy said:

...I will eventually get a new bike since my parents think this bike is "too old for me to waste money on."...

What year/size is your bike? The 1996 (and up) YZs are still fairly capable bikes, and the 1999 & up bikes have many parts in common with  current bikes, so they are definitely not slouches.

Plus, even if you were to get a much newer bike, you could conceivably sink the same amount of coin into it as your current bike. Look at the detail (and $$) Gary (P84ONE) puts into his rebuilds. :worthy:

Depending how you look at it, ANY dirtbike will be something you "waste money on". :busted:

27 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

What year/size is your bike? The 1996 (and up) YZs are still fairly capable bikes, and the 1999 & up bikes have many parts in common with  current bikes, so they are definitely not slouches.

Plus, even if you were to get a much newer bike, you could conceivably sink the same amount of coin into it as your current bike. Look at the detail (and $$) Gary (P84ONE) puts into his rebuilds. :worthy:

Depending how you look at it, ANY dirtbike will be something you "waste money on". :busted:

its a 1997 yz125. Since my parents wont let me put alot of money into it I want to try and make it LOOK nice. sell it to some one and make a little profit. put a down payment on a new yz125. What do you think I should do

Just now, Thtyzguy said:

its a 1997 yz125. Since my parents wont let me put alot of money into it I want to try and make it LOOK nice. sell it to some one and make a little profit. put a down payment on a new yz125. What do you think I should do

My parents also wont let me take the engine out of my bike 

I understand. Still, it's cool you want to put some time & effort into your ride. ?

Put as much elbow grease into it as possible. Pull off all the bodywork and clean the bike really well; there should not be any grease seen anywhere. Attend to any obvious mechanical issues. Fix little things like mis-matched screws or torn grips. Lots of scratches on metal & paint can be removed or minimized with rubbing compound. Wax as many metal & painted areas as you can. Armor-All all rubber.

Personally, I'd ditch the black plastic. White fenders & number plates look good on these bikes (see Gary's examples). Shop around. Check eBay. Sometimes OEM plastic is cheaper than aftermarket parts. Get some fresh graphics on the blue radiator shrouds and call 'em good.

Gary will also have some tips.

You will be surprised at how desirable a bike will be once it looks like someone took care of it. ?

This will send a positive message to your parents as well. Best of luck, and post pics! :ride:

5 minutes ago, CaptDan said:

I understand. Still, it's cool you want to put some time & effort into your ride. ?

Put as much elbow grease into it as possible. Pull off all the bodywork and clean the bike really well; there should not be any grease seen anywhere. Attend to any obvious mechanical issues. Fix little things like mis-matched screws or torn grips. Lots of scratches on metal & paint can be removed or minimized with rubbing compound. Wax as many metal & painted areas as you can. Armor-All all rubber.

Personally, I'd ditch the black plastic. White fenders & number plates look good on these bikes (see Gary's examples). Shop around. Check eBay. Sometimes OEM plastic is cheaper than aftermarket parts. Get some fresh graphics on the blue radiator shrouds and call 'em good.

Gary will also have some tips.

You will be surprised at how desirable a bike will be once it looks like someone took care of it. ?

This will send a positive message to your parents as well. Best of luck, and post pics! :ride:

Thanks!

I know others have said this but I would just like to add my 0.02$. Your bike really isn't that old. You'd be incredibly surprised at what a little refresh would do. It is also incredibly cheaper to fix up and upgrade your old bike, and it'll be very competitive with newer bikes. I personally have a 2000 Yamaha YZ250 that for its age is still a f@cking rocket ship. I have raced a few scrambles and have outrun brand new 450s in the holeshot. I recommend working on riding at faster paces and improving rider skill. This is where you'll see the biggest change. As for the refresh: good tires, suspension (new fork seals and oil, rebuild the shock), new bearings where necessary (possibly save some with regrease), new air filter, reeds, silencer repack, make sure compression is still proper, replacing any broken components, new brakes where needed (pads, fluid), replacement of broken levers, fresh grips, grippy seat cover, and if you can swing it graphics and plastics are always nice. At this point it will basically be a new bike, for only around 1000-1200$. As for the problem of you being unable to work on it, first convince your parents of the bikes ability to hold value. A steel frame in great condition could still fetch 2000$, and they last forever so they are well worth the money. If you aren't mechanically inclined, reach out to neighbors and relatives and find someone knowledgeable on them who you can learn valuable lessons from and build a b@d@ss bike. Good luck man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thtyzguy said:

I love the ufo and yellow w/black design but I have a blue gas tank, is there anyway i can paint the tank (long lasting paint if anything)

Nothing lasts very long, and is a PITB to do and make pretty. Just put the yellow graphics on the blue tank. Otherwise, Clarke makes a black, white, blue and I think yellow tanks. Or look on fleabay.

Just now, 2 STOKE YZ DOC said:

Nothing lasts very long, and is a PITB to do and make pretty. Just put the yellow graphics on the blue tank. Otherwise, Clarke makes a black, white, blue and I think yellow tanks. Or look on fleabay.

Thanks YZ Doc

hmu if u wanna race when i get this project done lmao

• Like 2