Used?

Just bought this 2 weeks ago at a dealership at a badass riding spot for $72.

http://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o9&cc=us&creative=188670690448&device=m&gclid=CjwKCAjwo4jOBRBmEiwABWNaMezuMREFgIjs4XpTv5XrNGcKcFewlwoyOE-4yTzpV8bnHzMp-4pDfRoCdlcQAvD_BwE&key=GMAX-GM462X-Helmet-Traxxion&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=GMX003N-X002-Y004&psreferrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&pssource=true&segment=badger

Was thinking about replacing my 20 year old hand me down anyway. Fits and feels excellent, and it's a lot lighter than my old shoei.

New helmets smell awesome.

NEVER buy a used helmet.  It doesn't matter what the ad says, you'll never know the true history of it.  

Motorcycle helmets are only designed to absorb one impact, and after that they are done. The helmet in this listing particular, looks like it's seen the dirt at least once (stress cracks on the visor).  I would stay VERY FAR AWAY from it.

I use the Bell Moto-9 Flex (on my 3rd one, actually), and it truly is a fantastic helmet, and well worth the $650 price-tag (my head is worth a lot more than that, to me at least).

If you can't afford something in the $600+ category, I suggest looking into the Fly F2 Carbon, with MIPS.  They are always available on clearance somewhere in the sub-$300 range. Or Troy Lee now offers the SE4 in a non-carbon version, but with MIPS for $250. 

• Like 1

Also realize that not all helmets are shaped the same.  I started out wearing Fox V3 but realized the fit was much tighter front to back than it was side to side.  Then went to the Bell Moto-9 and get much more even fit all around, which is proper fit.  I highly suggest going to local moto shops and trying on as many helmets as possible to nail down the model(s) that work for you and then shop from there.  And...fall through Christmas is the best time to catch closeout deals on discontinued models b/c of graphics changes.  Thanksgiving can be especially good for mailorder closeouts.

For fit I found this on revzilla's site...

helmet-shape.gif

DO NOT BUY A USED HELMET!!!!  Yuck!!!

One of the factors of the "what's the best helmet?" equation is price. 

I destroy a helmet ever other year.  Whether I take a detour through the trees at speed

226-FILE0040_-M.jpg

226-FILE0079_-M.jpg

faceplant into the snow/ice

i-MN9WbmZ-M.jpg

DSC01470_-M.jpg

or wipe out on the moto race track/trails

DSC_9755_-M.jpg

....I know a helmet's not going to last me for much more than two years. 

So I factor price into the equation.  A $600+ Shoei, Arai, 6D, whatever?  Not worth it to me. 

I'd much rather have a cheaper $200-ish *NEW* helmet that hasn't been banged around on my head off-road or in the snow, than try and get 4 or 5 years out of a more expensive helmet. 

Now I don't really advocate buying the cheapest helmet you can find - there's a lot to be said about a name-brand DOT- and/or SNELL-certified helmet that fits you well - but there's really no reason to spend a huge amount of money on the highest-end helmet just because. 

$100/year for a helmet that'll last me two years (= a $200 helmet) is a reasonable price for me. 

$300/year is a bit much, since I know i'm still going to destroy that helmet in two years.

Up to you though, it's your head that helmet's protecting, not mine.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SnowMule said:

DSC_9755_-M.jpg

You look so peaceful.  :goofy:

Great pictures!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc_d said:

You look so peaceful.  :goofy:

Great pictures!

I always thought Snowmules airborn shadow pic was his best.  I remember when he posted that a while back. :lol:

• Like 2