Is the 01 kx250 a good bike

So I need some help tomorrow afternoon I'm going to check out a 01 kx250 the bike seems to be in good shape has a pro circuit head pipe I've always rode rm125's so I'm not sure how the power will be on the 250 on the trails and in the pits will I be able to throw this bike around like my 125 and are these 250's fast I'd appreciate any feedback thanks 

IMG_1880.PNG

IMG_1881.PNG

IMG_1882.PNG

IMG_1883.PNG

yes they are good bikes , can be made even better with some carb jetting

they are really fast bikes and can be a real handle full if the jetting is off or stock ( way to rich )

very easy to work on and parts are readily available

• Like 1

As KxRob has said already, it's a very powerful bike. You'll have a lot more torque available than the 125 with the right setup. Get an exhaust which is designed to prioritise low-mid range power and again, as mentioned before, match it up to the right jetting. You'll be shredding trails!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback I got the bike and it's very good but I seized the rod running from the cops last night they couldn't even touch the bike it's good power I wasn't on it to hard when she blew though I ordered a full rebuild this morning. It's gotta full pro circuit R304 exhaust what would be a good jet set up for trail riding hillclimbing and a nice top end speed

• Like 1

Change your sprocket sizes and install a flywheel weight, these two modifications alone will instantly make your bike great for riding trails.

As for the jetting, you really need to match that to a pipe which is designed to maximise low-mid range power. If your pipe doesn't do that, get one that does. Not the silencer, the expansion - that's the part of the exhaust which makes the magic happen.

The jetting does need to be matched to your weather/climate as well of course. So, we can't help you with advice on this without knowing the State or City you live in.

P.s. Only ride on land, tracks, and trails which legally permit it. By the sound of things it will save you money, because you won't blow anymore parts trying to outrun cops.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel Wolfe said:

Thanks for the feedback I got the bike and it's very good but I seized the rod running from the cops last night they couldn't even touch the bike it's good power I wasn't on it to hard when she blew though I ordered a full rebuild this morning. It's gotta full pro circuit R304 exhaust what would be a good jet set up for trail riding hillclimbing and a nice top end speed

What is your temp ( summer and winter ) and elevation and I can help you with jetting 

Edited by kxrob

I live in upstate New York so we are usually in the the 30's low 40's for winter and around low 70's high 80's in the summer then in fall we dip down into the 50's mid 60's another question maybe be a dumb  but what kind of oil should I run in the crank case after she all bandaged up I've always heard gear oil but I don't know what's the best 

run any gear oil you like , lots of brands out there most are 10w40 , some guys run automatic transmission oil and change it more regularly

run a good fully synthetic pre mix oil in your fuel that has a low flash point if you are going to be trail riding

40:1- 50:1 is fine

what is the elevation for upstate new york ?

3 hours ago, kxrob said:

run any gear oil you like , lots of brands out there most are 10w40 , some guys run automatic transmission oil and change it more regularly

run a good fully synthetic pre mix oil in your fuel that has a low flash point if you are going to be trail riding

40:1- 50:1 is fine

what is the elevation for upstate new york ?

I'll probably run 80W gear oil then is it alright if I run and oil dominator at 30:1 on trails and everyday pit riding 

my elevation is 295' 

another question I have is that I'm worried that I'm going to put this bike back together and she will blow again because I am hearing very mixed reviews with these 01's some idiot put a wiesco crank in it but I'm going to put a proX rod in It I know these cranks aren't the most reliable but should it be fine with what I'm throwing in it I don't plan on really opening it up much I mostly like to keep the RPMS low unless I'm racing with someone or the occasional clean out everything seems pretty solid though 

45 pilot

Suzuki NEDJ needle clip 2 down to 60f

suzuki NECJ needle clip 3 colder then 60f

you will have to do a plug chop for the main

30:1 is not needed for trail riding where speeds / rpms are low 

Edited by kxrob
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kxrob said:

45 pilot

Suzuki NEDJ needle clip 2 down to 60f

suzuki NECJ needle clip 3 colder then 60f

you will have to do a plug chop for the main

30:1 is not needed for trail riding where speeds / rpms are low 

Alright man thanks for the advice I'll send some pics and videos of the bike when I've got her all done what's a plug chop?

6 hours ago, Daniel Wolfe said:

Alright man thanks for the advice I'll send some pics and videos of the bike when I've got her all done what's a plug chop?

google spanky's jetting guide , it will explain it