Turnaround time for OHV sticker when purchasing new from dealership?

Hi all,

Does anyone know how long it takes the DMV to send me the corresponding red/green sticker for my bike after I purchase it from the dealership?

The dealership said they'd handle the paperwork and to ride around for the time being with the DMV registration slip, but I've been stopped numerous times now by rangers wondering where my green sticker was...

Thanks

I had one take three weeks...  then it came as red instead of green. I was mad...  sent it back...  they did it again and it took a week.  I think they get around to a big stack when they get around to it.  Some have a DMV person on staff...  some use a third party that comes in...  picks them up and deals with it.  I'd call and complain just to make sure it didn't fall through the cracks.  :thumbsup:

Gotcha, I'll probably give them a quick call tomorrow to see if they know anything.

I made a very specific (2.5 hour each way) trip to them to buy this bike so it was green sticker, so if they send me a red sticker LOL

Too bad Yamaha decided that the WR450's are no longer going to be green sticker... wonder if they know something that I don't

Not at my house...  they must be scrutinizing you Bill cause you look Palestinian. It does take a lot longer when they have to involve Homeland Security  :smirk:

All kidding aside the Sticker and Reg comes before the pink.

I just bought a new bike 3 weeks ago. Got the Red after the first week.  The dealer should haver given you a Temp registration thats good for a while.

• Like 1

Just started doing a little bit of digging by calling the DMV and then the dealership. The nice lady at the DMV told me that there was no record of my bike in the system and the dealership told me that the DMV lady went on vacation for 2 weeks starting yesterday... Definitely not a good situation for me as I keep getting pulled by the rangers and it's quite a pain. I mean I'd expect a little bit more responsiveness from the dealership on their part considering I purchased the thing a year old at MSRP...

Edited by MXT

That's not very impressive service from the dealership.  Sorry you are getting the run around.  Maybe ask for the owner...  and/or threaten to take the bike back since they cannot / will not prove the paperwork was submitted.

Where are you riding that you are having so many run ins with Leo ?  And why isn't it as simple as flashing your temp registration and then moving on ?

• Like 1

I was originally riding Metcalf and the guys there were OK with it but went down to Hollister where it started happening.

Really don't like having to deal with LEO in general and especially so when they ask me "if I have any weapons" as I pull the temp reg out.

It's not just that I'm flashing the temp reg, one of them was doubtful of the fact that it was a suitable replacement for a green sticker.

Relax, keep your temp with you and be happy that someone at State Parks is even paying attention. Be respectful to the Rangers as they are doing at least part of their job well.

One day they may just pull over someone with out a tag and find out it is a bike of yours that was stolen.

I'm not upset that the rangers are doing their job, I'm a little curious about the the turnaround the dealership is giving me on getting me my proper paperwork. It's just a hassle and waste of resources on both parties, as these kind of interactions would be avoided if I had my sticker by now. If the world went according to the 10 day turnaround, I would have never run into these issues, but rather I just got word from the dealership that they mailed my paperwork a week ago (I purchased it at the very beginning of September, which means it took them 2 weeks to mail out) and to expect it within 90 days of purchase date.

That being said, I'm not discounting the CA DMV from being the bottleneck, it could very well be that they have not yet processed the paperwork and that it's sitting in pile on someone's desk ready for processing - certainly dealt with that back in Virginia.

It's not the DMV.  Some dealers just suck at getting paperwork turned in.  Even if they lied...  you know it's on the way now or shortly.  

My dealer used a 3rd party and it came from them not the DMV. That was a first.

Edited by Hallzilla
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Not at my house...  they must be scrutinizing you Bill cause you look Palestinian. It does take a lot longer when they have to involve Homeland Security  :smirk:

All kidding aside the Sticker and Reg comes before the pink.

More like IRA-istinian...

• Like 1

my 2017 KTM 300 XCW got my red sticker in under two weeks then i drove to Arizona and got the plate. in exactly two weeks.

never had a problem with either CA DMV or AZ MVD. quick and painless.

i'd assume now that you've spoken to the DMV that they're aware of your situation. did they offer any solution other than going through this not so good dealership? like show your paperwork to the DMV and get it taken care of on the spot?

Unfortunately no. She said that they had no record of the VIN and that it was up to the dealer to get it processed.

When I called the dealer, he was very defensive on that end, "we have proof that we submitted it" etc, but he also claimed that they mail the paperwork in, which conflicts with what the nice lady at the DMV told me, which was that they had to be batch processed in person at one of the DMV locations. He was also extremely adamant that it would take 90 days from purchase to receive it, and I think that's just his way of stalling for time. I understand the whole "underestimate and overdeliver" but seriously? 90 days?

• Like 1