Jump to content

CRF230F Silver in Oil & Clutch Noise

Recommended Posts

I just bought a 2006 CRF230F which is only suppose to have 3 miles on it. Story is the seller's son took it out once and broke a bone on it and ever since only road quads. It obviously sat for several years without maintenance so the seller brought it to a service shop to have the tank cleaned and carb rebuilt. This is where we met to buy the bike.

The bike is very clean and shows almost zero signs of use. The engine runs good but I have not been able to really give it a proper ride. I change the oil in it yesterday because I don't know if it was every changed since new and it appears to have some silver in it and smelled a bit like gas. I felt the oil and it didn't feel gritty at all but I found one tiny flake of metal that was stuck to the oil drain cap. If this is the original oil and sat for a long time, would this be considered normal?

Today I was checking the clutch and when pulling away in 1st the clutch makes a squealing noise. I don't feel any slipping buy I don't think this noise is normal and not sure what would be causing it. 

If anyone with more experience could take a look at the picture and video and share their wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it. 

 

I have to drag my finger through the oil to see the color, the silver/gray color disappears shortly after.

2wqr990.jpg 

 

Edited by rkulp89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the bike true has 3 miles on it then it would still be in the break in period. When you break it in there is going to be a lot of metal particles from parts wearing together so if it truly has only 3 miles then I wouldn't worry. If you keep getting metal every oil change I would be kind of concerned but some metal is normal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, expect to see heavy metallic content during early break in as the piston initially wears down the cylinder hone pattern I like to change oil in the first 10 miles or so to keep from recirculating the debris too much. That oil has much more than 3 miles on it to be a dark color. The black comes from carbon blow by and takes some time. Expect the fine metal to decrease over the first few changes.

Can't tell enough about the sound in the video to offer an opinion except that clutches generally don't make much noise. A noise while the clutch is trying to engage under load could be oil related if the owner used an automotive oil with friction modifiers. That can cause a squeal sometimes because the clutch plates get glazed.

The video can't be clutch noise because the clutch wasn't even being used as seen by the clutch actuator arm. I would just change oil and monitor it. Don't use any car oil that says "energy conserving" inside the bottom half of the round symbol on the back of the bottle. That means they have friction modifiers and aren't clutch friendly. Look at some bottles in the store to see what I mean. I won't recommend a brand because that always starts an argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, woodsryder said:

Yes, expect to see heavy metallic content during early break in as the piston initially wears down the cylinder hone pattern I like to change oil in the first 10 miles or so to keep from recirculating the debris too much. That oil has much more than 3 miles on it to be a dark color. The black comes from carbon blow by and takes some time. Expect the fine metal to decrease over the first few changes.

Can't tell enough about the sound in the video to offer an opinion except that clutches generally don't make much noise. A noise while the clutch is trying to engage under load could be oil related if the owner used an automotive oil with friction modifiers. That can cause a squeal sometimes because the clutch plates get glazed.

The video can't be clutch noise because the clutch wasn't even being used as seen by the clutch actuator arm. I would just change oil and monitor it. Don't use any car oil that says "energy conserving" inside the bottom half of the round symbol on the back of the bottle. That means they have friction modifiers and aren't clutch friendly. Look at some bottles in the store to see what I mean. I won't recommend a brand because that always starts an argument.

Thank you for the input. Just to clarify, the image you see is during the video is just some random picture I found online. Its not that actual bike and its just a still image. The squeal you hear is me releasing the clutch while rolling the throttle a bit. I'm not sure what was in their when I dumped it but I put Rotella T4 15w40 in it because I had some in the garage and many people seem to have success running it.

If the clutch plates were glazed, wouldn't I feel some slippage? If they are glazed, do they need to be replaced or is there a way to fix that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if the kid crashed hard on the shifter? That can cause transmission problems. When both third gears were trashed on my 150F, there was a gear/clutch whine noise. --L*64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rkulp89 said:

Thank you for the input. Just to clarify, the image you see is during the video is just some random picture I found online. Its not that actual bike and its just a still image. The squeal you hear is me releasing the clutch while rolling the throttle a bit. I'm not sure what was in their when I dumped it but I put Rotella T4 15w40 in it because I had some in the garage and many people seem to have success running it.

If the clutch plates were glazed, wouldn't I feel some slippage? If they are glazed, do they need to be replaced or is there a way to fix that?

Gotcha, Rotella is the good stuff. I once had a much more severe squeal or chatter on a bike I bought after the owner used the wrong oil. I changed it out and the noise stopped after a short ride. Also glazed plates can be fixed just like glazed brake pads as long as they aren't cooked from slipping. A quick bath in gasoline to remove oil then a light sanding. 

One possibility is the throwout bearing. They rarely go bad but anything is possible. I would take it for good ride and note specifically when and where the noise occurs, ( certain gears, load or no load, neutral, clutch position, rpms etc,.. ) Then remove the clutch cover if needed for inspection. Clutch work is not a big job or expensive fix if you have a manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonder if the kid crashed hard on the shifter? That can cause transmission problems. When both third gears were trashed on my 150F, there was a gear/clutch whine noise. --L*64



3rd gear problems Common on 05 older 150f

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took it for a couple laps around the block after changing the chain and the oil seems to have a funny smell to it. I'm thinking its gas. I've been leaving the petcock in the on position and wondering if the carb could be flooding. 

The noise is happening anytime I am on the throttle with it in gear, so basically anytime there is a load on the gears. I will try to get a better sound clip tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all gears sound the same its not the gears. One bad gear would sound different and all the gears won't fail at once. More likely to be the primary drive gears on crank and clutch if the sound is the same in all gears, Unlikely though because those never fail or wear out.

Sounds are tricky because you can't see them. Just spend the money on a clutch cover gasket and do an inspection before you cause damage. Not uncommon for oil to have a little gas smell 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think this may all me normal operating noise. I found a video on youtube of someone's CRF230F making the same noise. At 0:30 when he releases the clutch you can hear the same noise. As he drives the whiny noise can still be heard.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't want to insult you, but you may be listening too closely. These engines sound very mechanical but are very reliable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, woodsryder said:

I didn't want to insult you, but you may be listening too closely. These engines sound very mechanical but are very reliable.

Yup, pretty sure I'm just a dumb ass and wasting people's time with a non issue. I could've handled the truth though :facepalm:

 

The last bike I owned was several years ago and i don't ever remember it sound like this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, about sound and homemade videos:

Respectfully, I didn't bother to click on either one of the videos because I know how deceiving the sound usually is on these.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same experience with an 06 230f with hardly any miles on it. Silvery oil and a small flake of some kind of metal in the oil screen. So far so good. The little whine noise in your video when you begin to engage the clutch is also present on mine, I think it's normal. I imagined it was just the transmission gear mesh, I believe they are all straight cut gears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The noise is normal, 06 and newer are more noisy than O5 and older. But they all do it.
Straight cut primary gears.
Just ride it and forget about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When mine was brand new it had that slight quiet whine like in the first video.  Now it makes that great Muncie M-22 "Rock Crusher" straight-cut gear noise.

 

Edited by VortecCPI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×