Leaky water pump question

I have a very faint leak coming from what appears to be the water pump area. This leak only presents itself while the bike is running, after riding about 5-10 miles you can usually see a few drops or residue of coolant in the 9 o'clock position of this picture.

I took the water pump cover off to inspect the #11 oring and everything looked to be in decent shape. Put it back together and the faint leak is still there. My plan is to order up the #11 oring and replace that. My question is should I order up anything else or could this leak be eminating from behind the next piece of the water pump mount plate (this piece is not numbered or noted here, also no sign of a gasket that would seal this to the right side of engine case)?

Any info greatly appreciated

Thank youIMG_1505967536.159820.jpg

IMG_1505967553.283272.jpg

There is no reason for the molded seal #11 to ever leak.  Not impossible but highly unlikely.  The common leak path is where the ceramic part of the water pump dynamic seal (a carbon face mechanical seal) fits in to the back of the water pump impeller. It would be item #9 which is actually 2 parts.  1 part fits into the casting, the other part  fits into the impeller. Look at the RTV fix in FAQ.

Noble

Thank you for information. I didn't see anything in FAQ for the cooling system other than the fluid flush procedure. I am a little confused though as what you mentioned would leak coolant into the motor oil no? I am not seeing any signs of coolant during in oil, I have changed oil twice recently to confirm after running.

I am wondering if there is another gasket (located between the right side engine case and the housing to water pump) located behind the piece that is sandwiched between the water pump cover and the right side engine case? Hope this makes sense the sandwiched piece is not numbered in diagram.

Thank you

The seal Noble is talking about is 99.9% of the time, the cause of the drip. There are two seals, one that hold back the water, the other, the oil. There is a cavity between the tw and in that cavity, is where the weep hole is located. If it were dripping oil, you'd know it was the oil seal. In your case, it is the more common water seal and the RTV fix normally resolves it. Take a look at the parts listing for the water pump. The seal is part of the impeller assy. and is not available separately, hence it not being listed. With the impeller removed, you will see the white disc on the impeller.

Do a search in the forum for "Water pump fix"

You are right, I don't see "RTV fix" either.  I thought it was there.  What it entails is disassembling the water pump.  The right side motor cover needs to be removed, then the water pump is removed as an assembly, then the water pump is disassembled.  The white ceramic disc is removed from the back of the water pump impeller.  A jet of air will assist in removing the disc.  The disc is coated with rubber except for the working face.  Clean the parts. A thin layer of Ultra Gray RTV is added to the cavity on the back of the impeller and the disc reinstalled. Then reassemble the water pump so the spring pressure of the mechanical seal holds the disc in place.  Wait 24 hrs. Assemble, add fluids and ride.  You can inspect the other O rings for damage but generally they are OK to reuse.  You will probably need a new side cover gasket.  If this does not cure the leak, replace the water pump as a whole unit.  Water pump rebuild kits are pointless.

Here is a description of the RTV fix  -

I did this fix about 7,000 miles ago and it hasn't leaked since.

Sevkev

Thank you for the link that definitely helps me to better understand what Noble and William1 were explaining.

Noble and William1

Thank you!

I greatly appreciate/value your input and taking the time to explain this. I think I have a better grasp now of the task. I went ahead and ordered a new side cover gasket and plan to pick up some ultra Grey rtv tomorrow if napa has it. Hoping this takes care of the leak instead of having to get a whole new water pump assembly.

Thank you for all help

Link seems accurate enough except why work on the water pump still attached to the whole cover. The water pump just pushes out of the engine primary cover once the bolts are removed.  No reason not to.  Odd terminology calling the white ceramic disc a gasket.  It is part of a mechanical seal so I suppose in some sense it is a gasket.

FYI - the mechanical seal is the same type of seal used in all auto water pumps for at least the last 67 years.  It is a good design and very long lasting.  Suzuki however did a poor job of bonding the ceramic part into the rotating impeller.  Only the friction of the rubber coating was intended to bond and seal the disc to the impeller.

Yes NAPA will have Ultra Gray RTV under their trade name.  Ultra Gray is preferred because of its bond strength.

Got everything apart and rtv is setting up. I plan to put it all back together tomorrow after the rtv has time to fully cure. I do have a few questions though.

There appears to be a metal piece that is in place between the water pump cover and the right side engine case. Should I take this piece off and check seal, seals as though if this were issue it would of leaked oil not coolant? Also I smeared the Grey rtv over the face of the white ceramic disc/gasket, now that I see this looks to be a sealing surface I think this may not be ideal. Should I carefully razor blade the rtv off the face of the white piece?

Thanks again for the help

Also it appears the impeller housing area where the shaft passes through is sort of crimped equally on each side. This is normal?IMG_1506716283.231096.jpg

IMG_1506716302.748930.jpg

IMG_1506716318.898870.jpg

The RTV (only a thin layer-no 'squish out') goes between the impeller and the ceramic seal. Do not put on the other side that faces the bearing. Then re-assemble. Three is no need to take anything else apart.