Stuck between 85 and 125!!! Help!

Hey everyone, I been riding a xr80 for years now and decided it's time for a quicker and bigger bike. I was planning on getting a 125 2 stroke. I went to look at a KTM 125 sx but it was just too damn tall I only could get my tippy toes to touch the ground and it didn't feel comfortable like that. Just incase with the trails I ride I always have to put my feet down so Id like to have more than my tippy toes on the ground but not so much flat footed. I also am 5'10" and weigh 165lbs. So I figured why don't I try to look at 85's they still got good power but I feel like it will be too small for me as I will be holding it back and I don't really know how tall they are. So do I just get a 125 and shave the seat down or shorten the suspension or do I get an 85? Thanks. 

Yeah I know I'm used to all the years on my xr80 being so low To the ground

6 minutes ago, EnglertRacing said:

your 510 and you arent comfterable on a 125 :rolleyes:

I know it sounds dumb but I'm so used to my xr 80 for years being so low to the ground. 

so my buddy is like 5'6" and rides a husky 510, which is like the tallest seat height bike (stupid) ever built.

get used to tippy toes, flat footing it is not needed

im 6ft1" and im not totally flat footed on my supermoto.....

Edited by EnglertRacing

I'm 5 10 snd have no problem riding anything.  I wonder if the sag was off for you. The bike should be set at 100-105mm sag. If there was to much preload on the spring the sag would be off and would seem tall. 

Probably obvious but...in between the 85 and the 125 is the 100 or 105. Why not try a KTM 105 or a KX 100?

6 hours ago, _JC_ said:

Probably obvious but...in between the 85 and the 125 is the 100 or 105. Why not try a KTM 105 or a KX 100?

no,

no. no.

this kid is not a midget.

he needs a big bike.

• Like 1

You're 5'10".  You should be on a full sized bike.  Only very tall guys can flat foot a full size MX or enduro bike.  You'll get used to it.  It's not as awkward as it seems after you get some seat time.  Try keeping one foot on the peg, shift over towards the opposite foot and put that opposite foot down.  You should be able to flat foot on one side.

Are you riding MX tracks or trails?  If trails, a 125 motocross bike would be about the last bike I'd be looking at personally.  If you like 2 strokes look at the KTM 150 XC-W, used 200 XC-W (no longer made) or Husky TE150.  If you are open to 4 strokes look at the Yamaha WR250F, YZ250FX, KTM 250 XC-F, 250 EXC-F or a used 250 XCF-W (no longer made).

Doc

p.s. I'm 5'7 or 5'8 and I ride a KTM 350 XCF-W in the single track and a Suzuki DR-Z400S in the back roads. Both those bikes are tall and a I have no issues.

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

I was in the exact same position as your in may, I only ever rode pit bikes and wanted to get a real bike, couldn't decide between a yz85 or a yz125, everyone told me to go for the 125 cause I was 6ft and 140lbs, but instead I bought the 85, do I regret it? No, not at all, I had never ridden a "real bike" so I went for the smaller bike, the 85's have tons of power, IMO too much but such a blast to ride, it's kind of an in-between a Pitbike and a full size, I know riding a fully sized mx bike can be intimidating the first few times, but I think of you can find a nice 85 for cheap go for it, I bought mine for $1300 CAD then sold it for. $1500 CAD 4 months later, being new to dirt bikes and two strokes it really helped me learn to ride a bike properly and especially how to manage a 2 stroke, the yz85 has to be the easiest 2 stroke ever to work on, so small and simple, no powervalve, (some hate that it has no pv but I loved it) I just advise you not to go jumping or to go very hard on jumps with the 85, I bottomed out quit often on mine, the choice is yours which to get but like I said if you can find an 85 for cheap id go for it, 125's can be expensive, I know a lot of people probably disagree with everything I'm saying but before you experience it yourself you can't say much. 85's are fun👍 

8 minutes ago, DEMI said:

Bear on a mini bike with that scenario. Full size or a quad.

It's not that bad! I road a yz85 for about 5 months on small tracks and road plenty of trails, very fun to mess around on and make a fool of yourself on😂 and I was 6ft 150lbs, but yeah definitely not a long term bike for him, it would be good for a few months to teach the basics of riding and good bikes to learn basic maintenance on

• Like 1

Just now, Braapstustu said:

It's not that bad! I road a yz85 for about 5 months on small tracks and road plenty of trails, very fun to mess around on and make a fool of yourself on😂 and I was 6ft 150lbs, but yeah definitely not a long term bike for him, it would be good for a few months to teach the basics of riding and good bikes to learn basic maintenance on

I believe ya, but the OP has that down, just fear of a full size bike. 

1 hour ago, DEMI said:

I believe ya, but the OP has that down, just fear of a full size bike. 

Yeah I guess so, unless he is planning on riding track a lot I wouldn't suggest going for a 125 2 stroke at all though, maybe an xr200 or kdx200, possibly even a ttr230 depending on what kind of riding style 

I would go with the 125 for sure you sound a little big to be on a 85 no offense but you will be comfortable on a 125 you will have more power and it isn't that much taller than a 85....for example I'm 5'9 and weigh 155 and I rode a kx450f for two years I could touch the ground no problem...you can set the sag on the rear shock a little lower if you wanna be closer to the ground but honestly for your comfort and well being get a 125 for sure no doubt about it

25 minutes ago, Braapstustu said:

Yeah I guess so, unless he is planning on riding track a lot I wouldn't suggest going for a 125 2 stroke at all though, maybe an xr200 or kdx200, possibly even a ttr230 depending on what kind of riding style 

Exactly what I was thinking bike wise. A 125 may be unpleasant.

Thanks everyone for suggestions, I will stick with the 125 and just take it slow and get used to it or possibly even lower the sag. I only do trail riding and roads. I don't go race or go to tracks  

2 minutes ago, Nf25 said:

I only do trail riding and roads. I don't go race or go to tracks  

Then why buy an MX bike instead of a woods bike?

Doc

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nf25 said:

Thanks everyone for suggestions, I will stick with the 125 and just take it slow and get used to it or possibly even lower the sag. I only do trail riding and roads. I don't go race or go to tracks  

125's are plenty fun don't get me wrong (I have an rm125), but if your looking for a trail/road bike your last choice should be a small displacement two stroke Mx bike, if you really are set on a two stroke a kdx200 or even 250 two stroke would be better, but for your kind of riding a 4 stroke would be alot better honestly. Id tell you to ride a few different bikes and see which you like most, it's up to you though just cause someone on the Internet said you shouldnt do it doesn't mean you cant! 

• Like 1