Oil change interval

It doesn't hold much oil , especially on the engine side. If you're racing all weekend with a practice day during the week, I would change it after that just to see what it looks like and how much was lost. Everyone rides differently. Your racer may be harder or easier on the bike than others. Class doesn't really matter, you can run the shit out of the bike without going pro speed. Based on what YOU see after a couple of weeks, you should be able to make an intelligent decision based on your circumstances.

Thank you for your input! While I like the idea, I am not sure how it works in practise. How can you tell how "used" the oil is? I don't think going by color is an option, as the gearbox side will probably not have changed color, but the engine side will be black very fast. I have drained engine oil from cars that smelled very bad (old, stale, almost rotten), but I don't fancy letting it stay THAT long :) 

That's were a little bit of experience comes in. Basically you can measure the quantity, inspect for contamination or fuel dilution and any other sign of abnormalities.

There is a company in Cleveland Ohio called TestOil that can analyze it for around $75. That would be useful to determine viscosity break down and the PPM level of wear particles.
Over time that $75 would pay for its self or even save you substantial money if you're changing the oil either too soon or not frequently enough.

• Like 1

The engine oil will discolor pretty quickly, and that is when I change it.  Probably in the 10 to 15 hour range.  The OEM oil is very inexpensive.  We are racing harescrambles about every 3 weeks.  The gear oil discolors almost immediately from clutch wear.  I do not change it as often.  Check the oil every time you ride as it dose not hold much and engine failures are costly.  It can get past the seals into the transmission and catch you off guard.  Happened to us.