LA-Barstow to Vegas desert prep for '94 YZ250

Any tips to desert prep my '94 YZ250 for LA-Barstow to Vegas?

It's a 400-500 mile desert/dual sport ride over 2 days...the motor recently blew up so I will have the bottom end re-done with WR gears installed. I already got a stock cylinder re-plate by millennium. Forks serviced by factory connection have an increased spring rate; I will likely also do the rear shock...and will get new tires/brakes/chain/sprockets/hour meter/etc.

Bike is CA plated w' baja designs kit & LED's all around, and IMS 3.4 gallon desert tank + 30oz MSR fuel container. I will take apart the bike with all the tools I will carry and bring a spare master link, fasteners, front tube, pump, pressure gauge, first aid kit, gopro, LED headlight, and layers to strip off.

I am also contemplating a "mo betta" porting job on my backup cylinder...I have 9 weeks left (and I work alternating weekends)

Edited by Bhavesh

Bring two master links. Better to have extra rather than not enough. 

Also, it might be a good idea to buy new sprockets and chain for break in. Wear them in before the ride itself, otherwise you coule have issues with the chain stretching a bunch during the ride.

• Like 2

Don't know if they are available for that year, but an FMF Gnarly pipe really adds bottom end power.

Might help you conserve some energy on a long ride.

• Like 1

I do keep some spares of ride-killing parts - spare master link, axle nut/axle block/washer, throttle/brake levers, shift lever, and throttle/clutch cables (routed next to current cables)

never tried the Gnarly...but I will definitely need the low end...saw one on ebay for a couple hundred. Already have a PC USFS approved silencer

Sounds like fun, I rode the real deal Barstow to Vegas twice back in the day, good luck

Wicked pissa

2N9CzbD.jpg

Somehow I took a 1hr lunch, left to buy a wrench, talked to my Mom for 30 mins, hand washed the motor, zip lock BAGGER each part, and cleaned everything up/put away tools in under 4 hours

Headed to shop for them to do bottom end...

edit: 

why drive to the shop when you can ride? :hellyeah:

PuXxH1N.jpg?1

love working on bikes instead of cars...

Just dropped off WR transmission to the shop...they said they'd start it "in the next couple days"

Short of splitting the cases myself and bringing cleaned up case halves with the crankshaft out ready

for

a rebuild like, I am not sure what else I can do to make it easier for the work to get done...they originally said 2-3 weeks from the time I dropped it off, but that usually means they start it 1-2 weeks later and takes an extra 1-2 weeks to finish it

Here's to hoping they can get it done within 1 month and be done by November 4th weekend for a shake down run...

In the mean time I will get the rest worked on short of the motor

But honestly I am losing a little steam for upgrades...$400 shock + $500 ported cylinder + $200 Baja designs LED headlamp is kind of "meh" to me...Kinda just want a solid bottom end for sure, use my good top end, fresh chain/sprockets/brakes with everything working properly, and maybe budget the shock and ported cylinder next year

Let me get a running bike first. Let's start going on rides as I save up for mods. Already getting a WR gearbox so it will already feel like a new bike :hellyeah:

Also the landwhale bearings got me thinking about about maybe R&R all the bearings on the YZ as well. Next year.

B2V is damn fast. I had to laugh at the guy that suggested a low-end exhaust!

I'd imagine you will need a very big tank, fuel filter, selection of main jets. You might need to jet the bike leaner as the day warms up and as the airfilter starts to get blocked.  A filter skin would be a great investment. The WR250Z came with a big tank stock from the factory. Compare with the specs of the IMS to find the biggest one. You'd need the WR seat to match if you use a WR tank. A 2-stroke 250 will pull about 20 miles per hour faster in the dez (at least) with a clean airfilter and the appropriate gearing.

Most popular bike for that race is CRF450X or KTM 4-stroke, but what the heck ... YZ 2stroke for the win!

You'll need an 18" rear wheel with a Parker DT or other HD rear tire, and a 90/100-21 with some mouse tubes or ultra HD tubes and some ZipTy racing tire mounting compound (Enforce, I think) on the tubes wouldn't hurt. You'll need a steering stabilizer too.

Judging by the burn hole in the top of that piston, you should read up on jetting. Best of luck in B2V. Post some pics or at least a ride report.

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, Swappa said:

B2V is damn fast. I had to laugh at the guy that suggested a low-end exhaust!

I rode B2V in 83. Took me just over 6 hours to cover 172 miles.

"B2V is damn fast", not for me.

• Like 1