75 Suzuki RV125 jets choices?

So,

This really isn't too much of an issue, but I have a 75 Suzuki RV125.  I bought a rebuild kit (keyster) from Sirius consolidated in Canada.  I couldn't find another rebuild kit anywhere except there.  Have done business with them before and have been happy.   The issue I ran into - upon pulling the old carb apart, I noticed the pilot and main jets that were in there did not match what the OEM manual said is stock.  The rebuild kit also had jets that did not match.  I want to say off the top of my head, the installed pilot was a 20, the kit came with a 30, and the manual calls for a 25.  The screw wasn't set to the stock setting (it was turned in richer and about 1/2 turn from seated) so I did go with the slightly larger pilot in hopes to get the screw to a more in-between location instead of almost seated.

The main - I had a 110 installed.  The manual calls for a 92.5 I believe and the rebuild kit came with an 85...   I left that completely alone and left the 110 in since the bike was running fine and the issues I was having was likely a leaking left hand crank seal.   I was really confused by all of this and went to bike bandit and here:  http://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3a2d6f8700229982f4f9a/carburetor

and noticed that even the parts diagrams calls for many optional jets....   Can anyone lend some insight as to what would actually be stock?

As a side note - I ordered the left hand cover gaskets from my local shop because they had some on hand - but their computer system didn't even show a RV125...I lucked out and since the TC125 shares the same engine, they were able to get the gaskets...  Maybe I need a newer bike ?

I think the RV has always been Van Van outside of North America. I don't remember ever needing parts for mine. Until my dad blew it up. I had a new bike so it was sold unfixed. Pretty sure the mice had a hand in it. I currently have a TW. When my dealer orders parts, its listed as Trailway not TW200!

So, I'm shocked - someone else actually owned one of these! I have never seen a 125 or 90 in person, ever, except my own.

I've owned it for 20 years or so, all I ever had to do was a top end freshen up.  My dad has been using it sporadically to ride with my mom and her moped...but I pulled it out to ride with my son and it did fine, til suddenly she either wanted to bog out or redline like a maniac.

I tried to get one a few years ago. My seasonal neighbor had one in his garage. I made an offer, nowing what they were worth. And he said he wanted to take it home to "clean up". Sold it to his neighbor there[emoji19].
My friend has a 90 in poor shape I've offered to work on.
Just make sure the air filter is clean and has no holes. And carb boots too.

"knowing what they are worth"  - what exactly are they worth?

Mines not perfect, but original except the blinkers are long gone as well as the battery cover.  Otherwise just normal signs of age and use...used to run like a top until about a month ago haha.

Air filter is OEM and brand new, don't have any leaks because I sprayed carb cleaner all over the headgasket, basegasket and intake's around the carb.  Spraying some behind the magneto while it was running almost bogged it out, it cough and sputtered, blew a little smoke out from behind the magneto and then ran ok again.

A lot. This was a few years ago. Dealer that he ordered a turn signal from offered him 2000.00 I suspect that was why he took it home. The neighbor (kid)that got it, I guess conned him. Kid claimed to be in school or vo tech for motorcycle repair. Blew it up and then got in my friends face and demanded his money back. His claim was my elderly neighbor had known it would blow up. My neighbors son found out that the kid had not done anything to the bike. Got it started and took off riding it. The air filter disintegrated and either it's parts or other crap that mice love to hide in air boxes sucked into engine. Which is what happened to mine too. My dad never would check. Blew up his snowmobile when chipmunks had plugged the dual exhaust. One side the crap came out, the other was plugged and blew that cylinder. And get this he was a mechanic [emoji4], and being rural / farm he knew this happens.

wow.  I knew back in like 2005 I saw some on ebay for like $800, but didn't know they were worth more than that.  I suspected it MIGHT be worth something because it's rare (likely because it didn't sell real well when new).

I always wanted to find a Kawasaki Z1-R - it was a sportier 900 (maybe 1000) bike that aesthetically was different and didn't sell well.  Now the command a huge price due to their rarity.

Spoke to the owner of my local Honda shop.  The gentlemen is 65 and his life has been bikes, and I've dealt with him before and actually work with his son in law.  He knew immediately from my photo what bike it was and even the year.  He said that although now not common, they were back in the 70's especially with sportsmen - they'd use these fat tire bikes to get out in the woods for hunting/camping/fishing and being road legal as well helped.  He said he once owned 2 of them, but sold them both and wouldn't really be interested in adding to his personal collection (rumored to be more than 100 bikes).  But he said it would be a 1200-1500 bike on CL, but also cautioned me and said a bike this vintage, in this shape should really be considered as a "keeper". 

Edited by apbling
  • Like 1