Going from Yamaha to Suzuki?

I want to get my first brand new bike this winter/spring, and it is really hard to not look at a leftover '17 for under $6000 and a leftover '16 for $4500. My only concern is I ride a 2014 yz250f thats considered one of the best 250's while people say that the suzuki is needing everywhere but turning. Being a decent C rider I don't really care about the power. What I do care about is the suspension and durability. If it needed a piston every 50 hours, valves and crank at 100 hours, Id call that durable. Ive also heard that the suspension is so-so on the rmz's. So are they worth being $500-2000 cheaper than a brand new Yamaha?

You say you want reliability and good suspension.. ditching Yamaha for Suzuki is doing the exact opposite. Yams are knows for reliability and class leading suspension. I'm not saying suz is unreliable but I've got 70+ hrs on my 16 Yz250f. Never even had to shim the valves let alone refresh the top end and still starts are rips like day 1. 90% track ridden, But I've owned since new and I'm religious about maintenance. I've heard of guys getting 200+ hours on original valve train. You'll have people say if you put $ into the rmz suspension it'll work just as good as the sss yam but if you put that same money into the yam suspension the Suzuki won't compare.

• Like 1

It is correct that the Yamaha YZ-Fs are really reliable, but if you research things you will see that the late model RMZs are also quite reliable.  The word on the 2016+ bikes seem to show that they are good for extended lifespan with not much more than usual oil/filter changes.  I hope this is so since I just bought a 2017 RMZ.  I have owned/raced a number of YZ-Fs, too.  Both are good choices.

I have 77hrs on a 15 rmz250 

I did the topend at around 47hrs and wished I left it alone, was still like new.

Bike still feels like new and I have not had any issues at all except the chain slider and guide. They wear through quickly for some reason.

As for suspension it's good! A little harsh ( I call it firm ) but is really good. I like to feel what the front tire is doing at all times and the feedback is definitely there.

Corning is another plus you can cut inside or rail outside without much effort.

I am a SSS suspension fan but the feedback is not the same because the initial part of the stroke is softer feeling.This is nice if you are not in great shape but if you are in race shape and ride often the RMZ250 has a better race feel.

• Like 1

I recently compared these 2 bikes side by side and chose the RMZ.  I did so because I'm not racing it, found it to be more comfortable, and it handles the best without question.  I am not concerned with reliability because I think that when maintained properly, any modern 4 stroke is just as durable as the next.  The fact that it was a lot cheaper was a huge bonus.

Choose the bike that fits your style best.  If your a larger rider and need the power, you may prefer the YZ, however if you more prefer a better handling bike, the RMZ would be a better choice.  Suspension wise you can't really beat a YZ stock setup (most years), but I can tell you the RMZ isn't too bad either, just have to get the air forks dialed in.

All I can really say is, I have a fully modded 2010 CRF450R that just sits in the garage now because I have so much more fun riding my 2017 RMZ 250.  The 450 is now for sale ;)

• Like 1

I've had both yamaha and suzuki and I chose suzuki. The moto testers of the world like to give suzuki a hard time for things like over-rev, dyno charts, and curb weight... but I honestly didn't notice. My Suzy handles amazing and has more than enough power. It's definitely the rider and not the bike, especially at a C level. 

Check out this kid Ezra Lewis, rides bone stock 2016 RMZ 250s and absolutely rails. Make your own choice, don't listen to the moto testers imho. 

• Like 1

I just bought a 2017 RMZ with 15 hours from new and a 270cc big-bore kit installed before it left the dealership.  I have owned/raced a number of YZ-250Fs and liked them all, but the new RMZ is really good.  Solid bike for sure.  The fork is not a plush as the KYB SSS fork but is still good.  Bike turns great and is planted and gives me confidence.  I would be thrilled to ride or own either brand.

FWIW I have been riding a 2011 since 2012 and racked up nearly 200hrs now and it hasn't been any less reliable than any other 1/4 litre four stroke. I still have that bike, that's how much I like it.

• Like 1