Front Brake disc replacement options (rotor)

I think my front rotor might be wrapped.  This might have happened when changing the pads I was trying to push in the calipers and might have put too much pressure on it.

They symptom is when I am riding and applying smooth pressure to the brake it gets to a point and then it seems like the brake pressure increases sharply causing the front end to dive down.  I'm careful when applying the brake so its not that big of a deal for now.

I have check all the local Honda shops and no one has one in stock so I might as well order online.  Any suggestions for a aftermarket one that looks good?  Should I stick with the oem?

I am still going to pull the caliper off and check it...anything I should be looking for to ensure that the operation is correct once I remove the caliper.

THanks

3 hours ago, bajatrailrider said:

take two monkey wrenches bend back. 

i have tried that and each time I seem to make one spot better but another worse.  Im going to take the disc off tomorrow and heat it and try to press it flat.

On a plus side I did find my caliper was sticking due to dirt and lack of lube on the pins...so I was able to fix that.

• Like 1

do not heat it   do not remove to repair. use a marker tape on forks use it to find bent spot. using two monkey wrenches bend it. you will need do it 3 /4 times

Use a dial indicator while it’s all mounted on the bike, with the bike on a stand and the front wheel off the ground.
With a dial indicator, your can get it REALLY close.
+1 Do NOT use heat!

• Like 1

I have never used dial indicator not a bad idea. For me its takes practice to know how much to bend as it. too much too little. Play with it a hour you can get it close enough to work. for me dealing with 20 bikes its a common thing bent rotors.

34 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

Use a dial indicator while it’s all mounted on the bike, with the bike on a stand and the front wheel off the ground.
With a dial indicator, your can get it REALLY close.
+1 Do NOT use heat!

Ok I'll go see If I can get one today. Sounds like I should be able to get it close.

is it ok to sand the rotor surface if it gets nicked,

+1 on the previous three posts, warped rotors do create braking problems.  The warp causes the caliper  to move back and forth as it follows the rotor warp. Usually you can feel it as pulsing in the lever. On cars you can feel it in the brake pedal at low speeds, and at high speed as ineffective braking when the caliper is unable to follow the rotor warp. At low speeds too much rotor warp can cause grabby brakes.

So as suggested check the runout by using a felt tip marker,  a pointer, or a dial indicator.  On cars a small runout of only a few thousandths of an inch can cause problems. Also check the caliper mount pins for free movement and regrease with high temp caliper grease. 

15 minutes ago, honda230_WV said:

Ok I'll go see If I can get one today. Sounds like I should be able to get it close.

is it ok to sand the rotor surface if it gets nicked,

if you can feel the nick out bound yes sand it smooth. before you buy dial gauge try to bend close so you don't feel it in brake lever .if you cannot do that dial gauge wont help.

1 hour ago, bajatrailrider said:

if you can feel the nick out bound yes sand it smooth. before you buy dial gauge try to bend close so you don't feel it in brake lever .if you cannot do that dial gauge wont help.

sounds good will let you know how I make out.

I worked on it for the last 2 hours and though I did make improvements I'm not happy with it.  think I'm just going to replace it.

Should I go with OEM?  I see some on ebay for as low as 30-40 bucks...are they any good?

thinking of getting this one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2011-Honda-CRF230F-Front-Brake-Rotor-Disc-/131719433107?fits=Make%3AHonda&epid=1634611783&hash=item1eab170b93:g:WpQAAOSwL7VWstoR&vxp=mtr

Edited by honda230_WV

Well, continued frustration.  I ordered a TUSK disk after reading some good reviews from RockyMtn.  I was very impressed.  I got free shipping and it literally was on my door step <24 hrs after the order...

Unfortunately, I got the correct part but it just doesn't fit.  The rotor seems too thick.  I'm pretty sure it is because the manual lists the rotor as a min thickness as 2.5mm and the tusk has printed on it min 3.5...  so the pads just wont seat in. I can get one pad in, then side the caliper over...and there just is not the clearance.

So back to the drawing board...think I'm just going to go with the oem one and stop messing with it.  I want to ride.  2nd weekend missed.  :(

6 hours ago, honda230_WV said:

Well, continued frustration.  I ordered a TUSK disk after reading some good reviews from RockyMtn.  I was very impressed.  I got free shipping and it literally was on my door step <24 hrs after the order...

Unfortunately, I got the correct part but it just doesn't fit.  The rotor seems too thick.  I'm pretty sure it is because the manual lists the rotor as a min thickness as 2.5mm and the tusk has printed on it min 3.5...  so the pads just wont seat in. I can get one pad in, then side the caliper over...and there just is not the clearance.

So back to the drawing board...think I'm just going to go with the oem one and stop messing with it.  I want to ride.  2nd weekend missed.  :(

After researching some more I figured that there is no way that part isn't right.  RockyMtn has a good reputation, that part has nothing but good feedback...so I decided to look into the caliper again.  It does seem that there is a issue there.  When I popped the pistons out one came out and the other didn't it took significant effort to get it out...finally did.  Looked at the seals and couldn't really tell if anything was wrong with them or not.  Cleaned it out, put the pistons back in and seated them all the way down...this gave enough room for the new pads. 

Ordered a caliper rebuild kit and we will see where that leads us. I also ordered new pistons.  there was a mark on them...wasn't scratched...but better safe then sorry.

• Like 1

IMG_0241.jpg

EBC has 230f disk brake rotors:
Fits and works great, AND it’s lighter than stock. I only purchased one just for that reason only.

Thanks, they did fit.  I had a caliper issue that is now solved.

Now on to the next project...remove baffle, snorkel, and rejet.

Now on to the next project...remove baffle, snorkel, and rejet.

Are you sure you want to remove the baffle? Loud! My baffle is in place, and the snorkel/rejet dramatically improved power. Quiet bikes help keep riding areas open.

Good job on the brakes!

28 minutes ago, motrock93b said:

Are you sure you want to remove the baffle? Loud! My baffle is in place, and the snorkel/rejet dramatically improved power. Quiet bikes help keep riding areas open.

Good job on the brakes!

Good point, I haven't heard it un baffled....