Carb/Pilot Jet/Air Mixture Screw question

Hey guys! 

I recently cleaned and rejetted my carb. I live at about 8k feet. Here are my specs;

2009 kx250f

Main: 160
Pilot: 42

Needle: Stock (I think it is set to the 4th clip) 

Now, upon putting it back together I started her up with the choke on and had no issue. I turned off the choke and it abruptly died on me. After a few adjustments I figured it was a dirty pilot jet. I took it out and sure enough it looked gunked up inside. I cleaned it but I had a brand new 42 and decided to use that and save the old one as an extra. After I got it put back together I was able to get it to idle without the choke on but I had to loosen my air/fuel screw quite a lot. Its at about 3.5 turns out. 

Still in the learning stages on all this so I am not too sure what I should do. I am guessing that a different sized pilot would do the trick but I am not sure if I should go up or down in size. I was thinking about putting a 45 in it. Most of the forum posts I have read everyone is running a 42 or 45 with best success. What do you think?

on 4 stroke carbs it is a fuel screw so out gives it more fuel ( if tthe screw is one the engine side of the slide )  so that means your pilot is to small

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

45 is the correct pilot

Inspect your TANK and FUEL LINE for debris / rotting.

Especially the in tank filters on the petcock.  I didn't even know that there were filter screens inside the fuel tank.

If the pilot jet was gunked up, there's a chance the passageway above it was also contaminated.

Clean that while you are replacing the jet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mlatour said:

If the pilot jet was gunked up, there's a chance the passageway above it was also contaminated.

Clean that while you are replacing the jet.

^that^

The passage has a very sharp bend in it, and reaming it with soft copper wire and solvent is the only way to clear it.

Use solvent very sparingly as it will melt stuff....