2016 YZ250 frame update?

I noticed that the frame had a change in part number from 2015 to 2016 for the YZ250.

2015: 1P8-21101-50-00

2016: 1SS-21101-00-00

I was curious about the part number change and checked the respective year manuals and discovered some spec changes to the chassis.

2015: rake 26 degrees / trail 109mm

2016: rake 27.7 degrees / trail 122mm

I have not heard a word about any change to frame or geometry for 2016+ so was curious if I just missed it.  Also, curious if there are any differences in handling with the 2016+ since the change does not seem that trivial.

Anyone know more about this?

really interesting! Never heard of any changes from 05 till present! Hope you can get somemore feedback

That's not right. Part numbers may be different, not sure but the geometry is the same. That I'm 99.99999999% sure of! 26/109

I didn't think so either and that's why I was surprised to see different specs.

The Yamaha site has the 2017-2018 specs on the dimensions here:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motocross/models/2017/yz250

If you compare the head angle/rake & trail specs to any 2015 or earlier manual (section II) you will see different numbers. 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1055139/Yamaha-Yz250-2015.html?page=26#manual

Looks like a geometry change to me unless there is a misprint.   The change came in a year where they launched the X version -- and the YZ and X both share the same frame specs.  So, it could be that they wanted a different spec for the X and decided to also keep it common between the YZ and the X.  

So the real question I have is how this may effect the handling, cornering, stability, etc.

Edited by kgurries

One more thing to make this a little stranger.  The 2006-2014 models show a spec with 26.9 degree angle and 115mm trail (MY2005 had a different part number and slightly different spec too -- but same geometry as the steel frames from 2002-2004).  But all same part numbers from 2006- 2015 -- so that leads me to believe that the 2015 spec is possibly a misprint (it should be 26.9 degree angle, etc).  In any case, there is still a different part number and published spec for the 2016+. 

Edited by kgurries

That's pretty strange but the chassis/geometry has not changed. Maybe they changed the way they measure or a chain reaction typo

I haven't compared part numbers yet but if ever the lower fork tube part numbers have also changed since 2016,

there's a chance the axle lugs aren't located exactly in the same spot which could account for different trail measurements.

I've seen technical data misprints before on Yamaha websites as well.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

I haven't compared part numbers yet but if ever the lower fork tube part numbers have also changed since 2016,
there's a chance the axle lugs aren't located exactly in the same spot which could account for different trail measurements.

I've seen technical data misprints before on Yamaha websites as well.

I think the fork part number change is simply the new ones are a different color.

One more thing to make this a little stranger.  The 2006-2014 models show a spec with 26.9 degree angle and 115mm trail (MY2005 had a different part number and slightly different spec too -- but same geometry as the steel frames from 2002-2004).  But all same part numbers from 2006- 2015 -- so that leads me to believe that the 2015 spec is possibly a misprint (it should be 26.9 degree angle, etc).  In any case, there is still a different part number and published spec for the 2016+. 

If what you're saying is true then Yamaha failed to promote the new geometry and handling characteristics. Every magazine and industry expert along with every thumpertalk member missed it. Don't think so.
  • Like 2

Yes, there was a change in frame part number 2016+ and Yamaha published new geometry numbers 2016+.  I expect they did not make any hype about it (actually it was ignored completely) because it appears they went to a Global frame spec (similar to how they went to global spec a few years ago on other engine & exhaust specs).  The Canadians and Euros used to have a different geometry spec than USA -- but now they are publishing only one global geometry spec (also shared with the YZX).  So it may have more to do with efficiency & cost cutting and less about better handling, etc.  Not sure why the magazines failed to catch it...its pretty easy to look up. 

• Like 2

Yes, there was a change in frame part number 2016+ and Yamaha published new geometry numbers 2016+.  I expect they did not make any hype about it (actually it was ignored completely) because it appears they went to a Global frame spec (similar to how they went to global spec a few years ago on other engine & exhaust specs).  The Canadians and Euros used to have a different geometry spec than USA -- but now they are publishing only one global geometry spec (also shared with the YZX).  So it may have more to do with efficiency & cost cutting and less about better handling, etc.  Not sure why the magazines failed to catch it...its pretty easy to look up. 

But Kinger was absolutely certain... Lol

Yamaha does this every once in a while for a reason that is not published. Same part, different number. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

But Kinger was absolutely certain... Lol

I am pretty certain there was no meaningful geometry/handling changes. I said I don't know about the part number.

7 hours ago, Budlite said:

Yamaha does this every once in a while for a reason that is not published. Same part, different number. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

25 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

I am pretty certain there was no meaningful geometry/handling changes. I said I don't know about the part number.

20 hours ago, kgurries said:

And there it is in a nut shell. No need to retool.. 

Yeah, my guess is Yamaha wanted to cut costs by going to one global geometry spec (rather than two versions that they had through 2015).  The change looks like .8 degree slacker head angle and also more trail.  Could be that most riders won't even notice any change.  Some riders may be more particular when it comes to bike setup though.  One guy's dialed setup on a 2014 may not transfer over to a 2016 without some tweaks (e.g., clamp offsets, sag, fork height, etc) to get the same feel.  Not a huge deal -- but still something worth noting I think.   

33 minutes ago, kgurries said:

Yeah, my guess is Yamaha wanted to cut costs by going to one global geometry spec (rather than two versions that they had through 2015).  The change looks like .8 degree slacker head angle and also more trail.  Could be that most riders won't even notice any change.  Some riders may be more particular when it comes to bike setup though.  One guy's dialed setup on a 2014 may not transfer over to a 2016 without some tweaks (e.g., clamp offsets, sag, fork height, etc) to get the same feel.  Not a huge deal -- but still something worth noting I think.   

We all know the weep hole for oil level has been in the same "WRONG" height for how many years? :banghead:

Japs retooled the frame, AKA, threw out the other jig. :lol: 

I just stumbled upon this as well and am curious if I could simply swap frames on my '15 to an '18 frame. Anyone know if this would work? I don't have a title to my bike and am tempted to jump on a part out of an '18 with a certificate of origin.

Changes in suspension settings (sag, fork height in triple clamps, etc.) can change rake & trail.

If Yamaha spec-ed different setup parameters (for whatever reason), then their listed geometry would change as well.

10 hours ago, DirtBikeHead said:

...am curious if I could simply swap frames on my '15 to an '18 frame. Anyone know if this would work?

Go for it. It is a very safe bet that 100% of the parts will swap right over.

Report back with what you find. :thumbsup: