Exterior cylinder crack

Well.. it looks like I may have gotten a little aggressive chasing threads and cracked the outside of a threaded head bolt on a nikasil cylinder. I'm going to go ahead with this cylinder and just keep an eye on it... I'll set up a search on eBay and snag another one and send it off this winter. There is nothing visible inside the cylinder. Unless someone gives me the  "ohh god don't do that you are going to die" warning. I'm gonna let her rip and hope for the best. My measuring shows that this is this is a push out at the bottom of the threads and isn't even the part bearing the thread load... that said... I know it will eventually crack thru.

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

Are you sure the crack wasn't there before? You would have to get pretty aggressive to push the backside out like that. It could be that the thread or hole wasn't deep enough from the factory and installing the head bolt may have been what started it.

1 hour ago, HeadTrauma said:

Are you sure the crack wasn't there before? You would have to get pretty aggressive to push the backside out like that. It could be that the thread or hole wasn't deep enough from the factory and installing the head bolt may have been what started it.

No.. I'm not. But I'm trying to not to be the guy that blames everything on the previous owner.... My gut feeling is that I can go a while on the cylinder and just find one on eBay this winter and send it off. What's everyone's thought on Nikasil versus sleeved cylinders? Are all the cylinders interchangeable? Or what's my best option for the old 89?

2 hours ago, HeadTrauma said:

...You would have to get pretty aggressive to push the backside out like that...

Unless the hole had oil or some other liquid in it.  Then it's really easy to do.