350xcf vs 350excf

Currently looking into buying a new bike this winter. Had the chance to ride a 2017 350xcf and then an older 350xcfw which brings me to my question. How is the 350xcf in tight technical woods? It seemed a lot more aggressive than the W and I’m concerned that I won’t like it. I ride mainly tight goat trail like woods and race B class in Hare scrambles. I am coming off of a 250xcw and I’m pretty set on buying a 350 next.

Also noticed that all KTM discontinued the xcfw line for 2017, if I removed the blinkers, mirrors, etc. off of an excf would it be the same bike as the w?

I have a '16 350 XCF-W.  I'm bummed they discontinued them.  The EXC-F is basically the same bike I believe with some emissions stuff, turn signals, etc which I'm assuming can be removed pretty easily.  I also suspect the final gearing is higher so you'd need sprockets and probably tires to make it just like the XCF-W.  Unfortunately I think the EXC-F's come with a heftier price tag.  I paid something like $7800 for my '16 XCF-W in November of '15.

The XCF-W has a completely different motor than the XC-F.  It's designed with less total power but more low-end grunt and more flywheel mass.  It's got a lower first gear than the XC-F.  Since you are on a 250 XCF-W now you probably already know that the suspension is different and more geared towards rocks and roots compared to the XC-F which is stiffer, not as good on the rocks and roots but better for the high speed stuff like whoops.

If you are riding fast flowy trails the XC-F might be the ticket.  If you are riding slower more technical stuff the XCF-W / EXC-F is the way to go.  I've heard the XC-F is very stall prone at low RPM compared to the XCF-W / EXC-F.

I talked to two guys who owned both an XCF-W and XC-F.  They both told me for the single track around here they both much preferred the XCF-W over the XC-F.  

You rode both the XC-F and XCF-W, what was your impressions?  I've not had the chance to ride the XC-F so everything I'm stating is based on talking to other people.

Doc

• Like 1

I have a '16 350 XCF-W.  I'm bummed they discontinued them.  The EXC-F is basically the same bike I believe with some emissions stuff, turn signals, etc which I'm assuming can be removed pretty easily.  I also suspect the final gearing is higher so you'd need sprockets and probably tires to make it just like the XCF-W.  Unfortunately I think the EXC-F's come with a heftier price tag.  I paid something like $7800 for my '16 XCF-W in November of '15.
The XCF-W has a completely different motor than the XC-F.  It's designed with less total power but more low-end grunt and more flywheel mass.  It's got a lower first gear than the XC-F.  Since you are on a 250 XCF-W now you probably already know that the suspension is different and more geared towards rocks and roots compared to the XC-F which is stiffer, not as good on the rocks and roots but better for the high speed stuff like whoops.
If you are riding fast flowy trails the XC-F might be the ticket.  If you are riding slower more technical stuff the XCF-W / EXC-F is the way to go.  I've heard the XC-F is very stall prone at low RPM compared to the XCF-W / EXC-F.
I talked to two guys who owned both an XCF-W and XC-F.  They both told me for the single track around here they both much preferred the XCF-W over the XC-F.  
You rode both the XC-F and XCF-W, what was your impressions?  I've not had the chance to ride the XC-F so everything I'm stating is based on talking to other people.
Doc

I did not get to get to get the full feel of the XCF because I only got the chance to ride it in the field next to the dealership. However, it felt very powerful compared to the XCW. Reminded me a lot of an MX bike and I think it might be a little bit too much for the tight technical riding I normally do. It was a lot of fun but I think I better stick with the exc or w model for the type of riding that I do.
Thanks a lot!
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, zwobbe said:

I did not get to get to get the full feel of the XCF because I only got the chance to ride it in the field next to the dealership. However, it felt very powerful compared to the XCW. Reminded me a lot of an MX bike and I think it might be a little bit too much for the tight technical riding I normally do. It was a lot of fun but I think I better stick with the exc or w model for the type of riding that I do.
Thanks a lot!

Yeah the 350XC-F makes more power than a Honda CRF450R.  I'm sure you could get used to the power.  My concern would be with how stall resistant the motor is at low RPM and how well the suspension works for rocks and roots.  I'm super impressed with how the XCF-W goes down rocky rooty washed out trails and never deflects.  I know on MX bikes with stiffer suspension when I go down steep downhills with rocks, roots, eroded ledges, etc I feel like a pin ball.  I've not ridden the XC-F but I know the suspension is stiffer than the XCF-W / EXC but I don't know if it still tracks well and eats up the rocks and roots like the XCF-W / EXC.

I'm hoping my XCF-W lasts me a long time.  But when I'm ready for a new bike I'll probably go over to the two-stroke XC-W since they no longer make the XCF-W and I don't want to pay the premium price of the EXC only to have to rip off and replace a bunch stuff to make it the equivalent of an XCF-W.

Doc