Is getting a dirt bike street legal in Illinois difficult?

I'm trying to figure out how can I get a title and registration mostly. I know I need dot approved tires, lights, and mirrors which I already have.

i heard its easier ti get them plated in mi . and they dont care where you live . just tell them the bike is stored there , and that you come up on weekends to ride it . the ktm and huskys are much easier to get titles and plated 

I got a wr450f street titled in 2010; at that time you could do so at the state police salvage title station in peoria. All you needed were two brake switches, taillight, electric horn and dot tires. Unfortunately I think they closed that office!

Summary:  If you live in Illinois, register your dirt bike in Vermont.

I moved to Illinois in August 2017.  Have Suzuki DRZ400E, which I had titled, 'street-legalized', insured and registered in Virginia a few years earlier.   That process was straightforward.  Time-consuming, but not hard.   Also did the same in Virginia for a Yamaha TTR230.   Both of these bikes came new from the manufacturer as 'dirt bikes', not street legal.

Illinois Secretary of State (SoS, which is the DMV equivalent from other states) absolutely refused to ever consider these bikes as street legal no matter what.  No special construction, nothing.   I got this word directly from a rep from the SoS office in Springfield IL.  He cited Illinois Code 625 ILCX 5/3-401 section c, subsection c1 as the applicable regulation which prohibits registering a motorcycle in Illinois which started life as a dirt bike.

So I registered the DRZ and TTR in Vermont, using the Virginia titles, my address in Illinois, and my Illinois drivers license number.   This is specifically permitted by the Vermont DMV.   $46 per year for registration only.  No tax due unless you need to get a Vermont title for the bike because you don't already have a title. 

See Vermont DMV form VD-119 http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119-Vehicle_Reg_Tax_Title_App.pdf  and the instructions for the form at http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VD-119i-Registration_App_Instructions.pdf

Easy process.   Mailed in the completed registration application and check, got plates in the mail about two weeks later.  Note VT mails the registration paper separate from the plates, which you may get before or after getting the plates.  Postal theft mitigation.

• Like 1