85xr350 vs 2007 Yamaha yz in woods?

Got my 85 xr350r  on trade, never rode a bigger than xr200 4stroke before.

I'm 59 and don't need the 2stroke flying as much Anymore!

Still have my 89 rmx250 (265), and love it but theirs something about just crawling around

With all that torque that's appealing to me.

Then PO 26 years old,went woods riding a lot with his buddies, yz 250s.

They smoked him on the flats,and on the drag race,but, he said when they were riding tight woods,[2nd and 3rd gear

He would have to stop and wait on them to catch up, they didn't understand how an old honda

4stroke could beat them to the top of the hill?  One word Torque!

I've only rode bout 5min before teardown but it does ride good.

If I can tune it so it starts easy I'll keep this One!

20170921_083906.jpg

Rider talent/ability comes through again. I'm 51 and can feel it. Sure, newer bikes are faster/lighter/better? but who cares? I know some hot shot guys that have the latest and greatest, but they can't ride their bike to their potential either. Same clowns run race gas for no reason. Never count out a old XR and someone who loves it. Stick w/the Honda.

I have an 85 XR350. #50 slow jet,  #155 main jet, baffle(not spark arrestor) removed at 0-100 ft elevation. Starts one kick cold or hot. Keep an eye on intake manifold as they become brittle and crack.

Hold onto that RMX! Put a flywheel weight on it for crawling, put 38mm PWK carb on it, jet it right, and it will bang to the everlovin bottom. That XR will flame out before that RMX. Have owned both, and still ride an RMX today. Far superior handling in the woods, even compared to my suspension modified 03' YZ295. RMX has made KDX200 history too!

The mid eighties XRs had a short wheelbase and steep steering rake so they turn good in tight woods.  I have a much modded 01 XR200R which uses the same chassis as the 84-85 XR200R/250R, and a CRF250X. My XR is far easier, and faster, to ride in the tight gnarly ST stuff than the X.

I'm 59 and owned a 2 stroke Enduro since I was 15 (ts185 first one)

No one around hear knows anything about the rmx,they think it's an rm.

U are correct that tuned properly they will lug with the 4strokes.

Mine is now a kustom craft 265,re nic coated,rad valved,fatty piped,monster.

It belonged to a suzuki factory rep when new,he raced Enduro local with it.

The suspension was set up before I got it,rides as good if not better than current Stuff!

I have 3 front sprockets according to the ride style I'm doing.[damn thing would do 90 stock geared]

Had a drag strip kinda on the farm for the locals to play on,never got beat,almost,

Neighbors built banshee would get it bout half the time.

Don't care bout that anymore,more of a slow woods ride or go crawling.

26 year old son wants it when I'm Gone!

Never saw another one in my area. I live 3 miles from the lake,in fall when they drop 

The water lots of riding, many a mile on the bottoms,and the woods surrounding them.

OK back to the xr [before I get kicked out for 2-stroke talk)

Cdi on, I have fire,almost got it ready to start.

I'm putting lights back on,is this th ing 85 xr350r 6v or 12v?