XR400 fork service

I'm trying to access the bottom shim stack to see how many washers are installed.

I've loosened the bottom bolt with an impact gun but it's rotating the damper rod now. Do i therefore need the special tool ?

When i look at pictures pf the special tool it has two lugs that look like they slot into some cutouts, but when i look down the fork tube i see a hex that looks are if it should be held by the outside of a box spanner if that makes sense.

Is the tool for holding this hex, and if so why isn't it a hexagon ?

I tried making a couple of versions of the tool with lugs but couldn't get it to engage - what am i doing wrong ?

try putting the spring back in with the fork cap and hit the cap screw again with impact.

yeah tried that, and leant on it on the floor - no go.

When you put it on the floor push down and put some more spring tension on it. Saw my tuner do that, works great for me.

• Like 1

yeah in the end i bought the tool - cheapest here in UK was £32 but job done in 2 minutes after that.

the bit that confused me was whenever i saw a picture of the tool (even in the honda manual) it had 2 protrusions to pick up slots, when in reality my forks had a hex that need a corresponding hex to fit. the tool i bought was double ended so got both bases covered.

turns out the shim stack had already been modified after all that !