Replace or Run this yz125 head? (pics)

I know the easy answer is just replace it, but i've already got $500+ into repairing replating this engine so would it be safe for me to buff any high spots and just reuse this head? 

IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

That looks like trash can to me. Try to not let emotions get in the way of proper mechanics. (also whether you have the money or not is not a factor)

Either try to get that one machined or better, buy a new or used one.

6 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

That looks like trash can to me. Try to not let emotions get in the way of proper mechanics. (also whether you have the money or not is not a factor)

Either try to get that one machined or better, buy a new or used one.

Thanks for your feedback, I have  the money if it's a nessasry repair...

Welding and machining the head can be more than a new one. Check pricing, weld is probably around 65, machine around 60. Now you have 120 plus shipping. 

1999 HEAD, CYLINDER 1

Part# 4JY-11111-01-00

Price:

$232.79

No harm done in running it like that. it'll most likely maintain a good mixture of fuel and air. What our eye seems as ugly the engine does not care much about it.

Don't like the optic, dremel it away and reduce the head according to the gained squish.  

Edited by arnego2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, arnego2 said:

No harm done in running it like that. it'll most likely maintain a good mixture of fuel and air. What our eye seems as ugly the engine does not care much about it.

Don't like the optic, dremel it away and reduce the head according to the gained squish.  

To many threads, same topic, question and user. :goofy:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arnego2 said:

We all started that way, forgive ;) Ah lets test your German: Wie geht es deiner Frau? 

Yah, I know...

You know I have to translate and/or ask the misses... Hahahaha

Besser, aber nicht fantastisch.

It's more like a roller coaster (ups and downs). But marriage and health is anyway. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I was fortunate enough to find a great deal on ebay on a fine looking head. However despite being the same year and part number it still looks different to me. Mine seems to have a deeper groove for the o-ring than all of the pics of replacement heads i've seen. Is the camera playing tricks? Here's the head I bought 

IMG_5842.PNG

That is definitely not the same head. Must be different part number.

49 minutes ago, rjpjnk said:

That is definitely not the same head. Must be different part number.

I've checked every resource I could find and all shows it's supose to be the same. Also this is off a 99' and mine IS a 99' . Same stamps and marking on top and eveything... I'm confused...

26 minutes ago, xtactical said:

I've checked every resource I could find and all shows it's supose to be the same. Also this is off a 99' and mine IS a 99' . Same stamps and marking on top and eveything... I'm confused...

When you get the other head in your hands, you will see that the head you bought has been milled. Other than that, you are good to go.

• Like 1