2011 DRZ400S starting issues

Hi All, 

I've read through all the past threads but can't seem to figure out what exactly is wrong with my DRZ.  In short, the bike has a new battery but will not start.  When I turn the ignition on, the headlight comes on and when I press the starter the headlight goes off and I hear a "click" from what I thought was the starter relay, but found online that it is a turn signal switch...  I have a good meter but not sure what to connect to in order to test that the starter is getting power.  

Full discloser, I've had a nightmare of a summer with this bike.  The battery was dead last spring so instead of putting it back on a charger I jumped it off my truck and tried to charge it by running the bike.  This was before I changed the oil.  There wasn't much gas in the tank which was curious because I had put it away nearly full.  I decided that I should run the bike to the gas station 2 miles away so I'd be able to run it long enough to get some juice in the battery.  It died at the gas station but I was able to bump start it down a hill but when I did that the CDI display was blank for the ride back to my garage.  The battery wasn't holding a charge so I went to the shop and found it had some dead cells so I bought a new one and oil and a filter.  I went home to change the oil and drained about a gallon of oil/gas out of the crank case.  Also quite a bit of gas out of the airbag.  Horrifying.  I changed the oil 5 times, pulled the carb out and cleaned it, and replaced the leaky petcock and installed an on/off valve inline.  The bike ran fine for several weeks and then I went away for a couple of weeks.  When I came back I encountered the problem above.  

I had already bypassed the clutch switch and the kickstand switch.  I noticed the black outer cover on the neutral switch wires was melted but the three wires look fine.  I would also like to know how to bypass this neutral switch but it seems everyone else has different color wires than I have,  I am looking at a Blue, Black and Pink wire.  

If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction with tips on how to use my meter, I'd appreciate it.  

Thanks.  I took the carb apart when it filled up with gas in the spring and cleaned the needle and checked the seals.  Hasn't been a problem since.  

I just took the spark plug out and it was dry.  I ran power from the battery directly to the starter and it cranked.  I also jumped the starter relay with a screw driver and it cranked.  It seems to me that it is a faulty relay?