LeeHoudini

Best sm off road tires for 2017?

33 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Idles around 7 mph. I find it perfectly manageable for exploring 4 wheeler trails in the woods.

You'e done this too? I was too lazy to get an offroad chain and sprocket set. 15/41 is pretty annoying, I was barely ever in 2nd.

You'e done this too? I was too lazy to get an offroad chain and sprocket set. 15/41 is pretty annoying, I was barely ever in 2nd.

I really like 15/38 gearing. It cruises an indicated 70 mph around 6k rpm yet still has more than enough bottom end.

If you want lower gearing just get a 14 front. If your chain is cut so the tire is near all the way forward then you'll have enough adjustment, I've done it.
I don't ride off road seriously on my SM though. If I'm out riding and see a trail or riding spot I'll go in to check it out but that's about the extent of it.
2 people like this

4 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I really like 15/38 gearing. It cruises an indicated 70 mph around 6k rpm yet still has more than enough bottom end.

That's exactly what I am running. 

3 people like this

15/38 is the best combination i have found so far. Once I put my Rekluse RadiusX in and rebuild the top end this winter I will hardly notice the higher gearing in the dirt but have lower rpms on the highway. I think my winter tires will be a shinko 700 front with a motoz Tractionator gps flipped for off road, and in the summer throw real sm tires on it. I take my bike everywhere and am off road every day rain or shine. The 700 rear is ok, but it's a 130/70/17 and it will probably burn up fast. I like my bike, even with my flag charging into the wind! Lol. Thanks

Edited by LeeHoudini
2 people like this

15/38 is the best combination i have found so far. Once I put my Rekluse RadiusX in and rebuild the top end this winter I will hardly notice the higher gearing in the dirt but have lower rpms on the highway. I think my winter tires will be a shinko 700 front with a motoz Tractionator gps flipped for off road, and in the summer throw real sm tires on it. I take my bike everywhere and am off road every day rain or shine. The 700 rear is ok, but it's a 130/70/17 and it will probably burn up fast. I like my bike, even with my flag charging into the wind! Lol. Thanks

Your flag and the flag on the Slide Fire stock on my AR point the same direction.
1 person likes this

Tires look nice.  Do you like the way they handle on gravel roads?   

Love the Bruce Lee theme - he was the man!

1 person likes this

On 11/16/2017 at 11:12 PM, LeeHoudini said:

One problem with the Rekluse that is used in the DRZ , it's not very good . They take one of the disc sets out to replace with the unit thus increasing the wear on the remaining discs ,the last thing these clutches need.  If your rather hard on it just beware of it and limit feathering , especially when it's hot .

Edited by jjktmrider

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:13 PM, TX-SANDMAN said:

Tires look nice.  Do you like the way they handle on gravel roads?   

Love the Bruce Lee theme - he was the man!

Thanks. The tires are pretty freaken awesome off road. Far superior to my old Pirelli mt60\motoz tractionator gps setup. I think for an sm setup this is about the equivalent of putting bf goodrich all terrains on your daily driver, no its not going to be featured in four wheeler magazine, but it will take you around to see the sights and have some fun if your careful.

thanks again, your right Bruce lee was the man and he lives on. After all he once said, "The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering". He certainly did that.

Edited by LeeHoudini

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:27 AM, jjktmrider said:

One problem with the Rekluse that is used in the DRZ , it's not very good . They take one of the disc sets out to replace with the unit thus increasing the wear on the remaining discs ,the last thing these clutches need.  If your rather hard on it just beware of it and limit feathering , especially when it's hot .

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the newest rekluse. They actually add an extra fiber to the drz now, rather than remove one. Resulting in a better clutch than you the bike had before. It also adds steel inserts in the stock basket to prevent notching. Check it out. It's the Rekluse Radiusx. It just came out. Here's the link.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rekluse+radiusx&view=detail&mid=3CFD73CDF32CA64196383CFD73CDF32CA6419638&FORM=VRRTAP

Edited by LeeHoudini

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the newest rekluse. They actually add an extra fiber to the drz now, rather than remove one. Resulting in a better clutch than you the bike had before. It also adds steel inserts in the stock basket to prevent notching. Check it out. It's the Rekluse Radiusx. It just came out. Here's the link.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rekluse+radiusx&view=detail&mid=3CFD73CDF32CA64196383CFD73CDF32CA6419638&FORM=VRRTAP

Hey that is good info Lee. That has renewed my interest in getting a Re cluse now, thanks.
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bucket list said:

Hey that is good info Lee. That has renewed my interest in getting a Re cluse now, thanks. emoji106.png

anytime. Mine is sitting on a shelf waiting to be put in. 😁

I may have to look into one again myself , they may be really nice on ice for the winter .

1 person likes this

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:07 PM, jjktmrider said:

I may have to look into one again myself , they may be really nice on ice for the winter .

heck yeah, I think it is going to be awesome for everything.