DRZ400sm speedo not working

hello , recently the speedo on my drz400 has stopped working. the neutral light, indicator light etc work but the actual dash does not light up at all, if i was to replace it is there any way of getting the miles off it? thanks for reading ,any help would be lovely.

As far as I am aware there is no way to change mileage on the stock speedometer, so if you get another one it will have the mileage that one does. If you cannot fix your current one, then probably go the way most people do, go for an aftermarket speedo, like trailtech, I have also heard that there is a way to set mileage on them, so you can set it to what this one had.

Did you check the cable? Mine broke inside the wire housing and would just spin free - making the Speedo and tach atop working.

I actually bought a new cable, then went trailtech and don't need it... if your in the market PM me 👍

5 minutes ago, RC_ichard said:

Did you check the cable? Mine broke inside the wire housing and would just spin free - making the Speedo and tach atop working.

I actually bought a new cable, then went trailtech and don't need it... if your in the market PM me 👍

That wouldn't be the case this time as he says the dash doesn't light up at all. I would probably first check the wiring and make sure that it isn't just a loose power wire to the speedo.

1 minute ago, Newjorciks said:

That wouldn't be the case this time as he says the dash doesn't light up at all. 

Good catch!! I saw he said the other lights were working as just lumped backlights in with signals and indicator lights without carfully reading it.

thx for correction 👍👍

Check wiring first, here's the diagram.

If you replace it with another stocker, you can match milage by buying a speedo with less miles and just using a drill to spin the cable until the miles match. Zip tie the trigger, count how many miles per minute, and come back when it's close to done. 

Or go TrailTech! It's more accurate.

DRZ Wiring.jpg