where to next?

Just hit 3000 miles on my 2015. Tires are spanked. I have lowered the bike with a longer lowering link. Just bought some 705 s for the front and back. Haven't put them on yet but when I do I plan on changing to a 13-46 sprocket setup. I want advice on what people have done for tanks pipes and carbs. Plastic will be replaced as it continues to break LOL.

8 hours ago, xr650l big reD hog said:

Just hit 3000 miles on my 2015. Tires are spanked. I have lowered the bike with a longer lowering link. Just bought some 705 s for the front and back. Haven't put them on yet but when I do I plan on changing to a 13-46 sprocket setup. I want advice on what people have done for tanks pipes and carbs. Plastic will be replaced as it continues to break LOL.

Super low gearing, like 13/46 is best off road.  Shinko 705's are best on the street.  Where are you planning to do most of your riding?

If you're staying on the street, the stock 15/45 gearing really is best.  If you're going to be more in the dirt, get something like a Dunlop D606 on the rear and maybe a Pirelli MT21 on the front.

So which is it?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, xr650l big reD hog said:

Mostly road but looking to make the bike fast off the line and more responsive in 2ND and 3rd gear.

It is my opinion that you'll do better working on adding power than lowering the gearing.  With the stock 15/45 gearing I can barely keep the front wheel on the ground under hard acceleration right now in first and second.  When I have lower gearing, like when I go to 14/48 for off road riding, first gear is almost too low on the street.  It's no problem at all starting out in second gear.

Look at switching to an FCR carburetor to improve responsiveness in the lower gears.  There are plenty of threads around about that modification.  Look into a higher compression piston as well, which probably makes the biggest difference.  Also look into the "second gear mod" to fix the big jump between first and second.  That has been done to my bike and it made a significant difference, mainly off road.  I don't know why Honda doesn't produce them that way to begin with.

At least the sprocket changes aren't going to cost you much and are easy to switch back.

• Like 1

Glad you're enjoying the L.  This information has been covered a hundred times and ways if you do a search.

14-50 or 15-53 will serve you and the bike better on the sprockets and keep you in that same ratio range.

Keihin FCR41 is one of the most popular carb add-ons with plenty of tuning information available.  The Mikuni TM 40 is another that many folks use.  It works well and it's usually cheaper to do.

Pipes are plentiful and all offer good service.  FMF is probably the most popular, then XR's only.  Stock headers are fine when the welds are cleaned up but the FMF and XR's only stuff is popular here as well.  I like the look of the stainless better but I run an old modified XR's only full steel system that has worked well and sounds good.  A new slip on will make a much better sound but it and larger aftermarket headers won't offer much in the way of power gains on a stock motor (they won't hurt either) but they sure look cool.

• Like 1